Model Train Forum banner
3581 - 3600 of 3620 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I must say friend, you live in a beautiful location. And I'm sure the Legacy Pacific will be worth the minor delivery delay.
I also have to say, the photos of the street surface didn't look bad to start with. This comment coming from a guy who lives and drives many Ohio roadways. I cringe anytime I must drive into Michigan however, as their roads are notoriously bad.
Enjoy the new street, and the Pacific.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
These are private streets our HOA owns and maintains. What was underneath the thin sealcoat in the first pictures was ugly in some places due to all the utility cuts that were made over 35 years. It was no longer possible to add any more top coats of asphalt. The HOA has been collecting funds in the monthly dues for this work and we had a low bid price from 18 months ago the contractor was willing to honor. There are 11 phases of work, my pictures are just phase 3 by our house.
The worst streets we drive on are a toss up between the city of San Diego and the city of Lansing Michigan. When we drive from Lansing to East Lansing it is like going from a third world country to a first world location. Detroit is not so good either.
I am now convinced my engine was routed through the Panama Canal to get to SoCal from Boston. I ordered two other engines from Wisconsin, they have not yet shipped.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,584 ·
Will be looking forward to pics of your new choo choos. The area you live in is beautiful. Very nice.
I will be having road work in front of my house.also. I think all the new layers that can be added have been done also.
I do not know when the project is to start. Different people from the county have told me it is on the planner.
They are going to widen my road. At least one more lane. I will not be losing any of my yard. It will be on the other side of the road.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,585 ·
I did make a purchase on ebay today. I have been wanting a bubbling water tower. Don't ask why.
I do not know. Anyway that is what I bought. Not an American Flyer 772. It is a reproduction. MTH 23772. Notice the similar model numbers. I have some other MTH items, mainly for my O scale trains. This one looks brand new. Seller said he called it used because the box is torn. Never been on a layout. I will show pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,587 · (Edited)
I would consider it a small tank and it is checkerboard. It has a white bulb, seems I have seen reddish tubes. Might try a red bulb.

Here is the listing for it Tom. Has a red lens on top, I do not know if it lights.
I have some red flashing LEDs, maybe see if I can get one of those going on top.
This way I won't have to post a pic of it. I will need a rectifier or something to
change the AC to DC for the LED. That red thing on top might be the end of the
bubble tube and I guess that lights the red thing.

Need to go get the listing. Can't get it to post here.
I will keep trying. Got it.

M.T.H. No. 23772 Reproduction of American Flyer 772 Bubbling Water Tower W/ Box | eBay

Click on the pic of water tower and scroll down a bit to see the other pics.
Top of box is mangled. Not really mangled, it is gone.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,588 ·
Not super fond of the checkerboard tank. Might paint it a solid color. Black or the right red.
I like the shed next to tower but it does look plastic. Might have to paint it also. We shall see.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Mopac, that is what is known as the large checkerboard tank. Looks like the red glass at the top is the end of the bubbling tube. I would form some aluminum foil around the bulb to direct more of the light into the tube.
I know of one large water tank that was painted in that red/white checkerboard theme. It was on a DOE production site known as the FEED plant. The local residents mostly thought is was a Ralston Purina facility.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,592 ·
It most certainly looks like something from a Ralston Purina facility. I do not think the checkerboard is
painted on. Cruising ebay this morning I saw a strip of checkerboard for water tanks. It might be a sticker.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I agree, its either a stamping or a wrap, I have not looked closely at one. I never cared for the checkerboard look so I never purchased that version of a 772. I think it would be interesting to paint over or remove the checkerboard, then put on decals for a local city or a railroad.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,597 ·
Looking at your pic some more yours is different than mine. The roof on the shed is green,
Mine is red, so maybe yours is not MTH. I did not think the Gilbert one had a shed.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,599 ·
At first I thought it was like mine but after looking some more I knew it was different. My seller has not even mailed mine.
I will burn him on shipping time. When I used to sell on ebay I always shipped day after payment received. Sometimes
same day.

3581 - 3600 of 3620 Posts