Model Train Forum banner
3621 - 3640 of 3644 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,621 · (Edited)
Along with the 312AC that I received yesterday, the seller included a little keepsake from the A.C. Gilbert Service Dept.
I thought it was kinda neat. It was in a plastic bag to keep it nice.
Not much help were they? Of coarse it can be repaired. Take to a local train shop.
LOL, or send it to flyernut.

Wood Font Rectangle Circle Pattern

Font Plastic wrap Transparency Packing materials Label

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Along with the 312AC that I received yesterday, the seller included a little keepsake from the A.C. Gilbert Service Dept.
I thought it was kinda neat. It was in a plastic bag to keep it nice.
Not much help were they? Of coarse it can be repaired. Take to a local train shop.
LOL, or send it to flyernut.

View attachment 583681

View attachment 583682
Bull, send it to me,lol!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Mopac those tags are interesting. That draw bar is an easy fix as I'm sure you know. The wiring issues are no big deal either. Makes me wonder if that engine arrived at the Gilbert repair facility on a Friday and the boys were wanting out of the place to get the weekend started and just decided to send it back rather than fix it for the customer.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Further to that interesting tag Mopac now has in his collection. I have a copy of a guide to Gilbert paper. It is 130 pages and was assembled from observation, not from any Gilbert company list. There are about 1,000 items of paper listed. Almost all the Gilbert numbers begin with a D or an M. The item above is called a string tag and other string tags have an M number. The one pictured above is not included in the master list so it was not observed when the list was researched.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,630 ·
Fnnally took somepics of stuff found in my mailbox.
First up is 3 Gulf tanker cars and a 938 caboose. All 4 cars were 9.99 plus decent shipping.
Train Wheel Land vehicle Plant Rolling stock

Next is 3 passenger cars. They are plastic not aluminum. They were 38 something plus shipping.
Seller said they were metal. When I told him they were plastic he refunded ALL my money and said
to keep them.

Train Plant Plant community Rolling stock Tree
Train Plant Plant community Rolling stock Tree

next is a log cabin I found in a box I have not been in for many years. I figure the log cabin is
at least 52 years old. It is an incense burner, takes a cone style and smokes out the chimney.

Plant Outdoor bench Table Leaf Wood

Last but not least is a couple pics of my nice 312AC. First pic she is showing off her new headlight lens.

Train Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Train Wheel Plant Vehicle Rolling stock

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Quite a few additions. As I have commented in prior threads, only some 66X series passenger cars were aluminum, some 660, 661 and 662 cars are chrome plated plastic. If they are 50X, they are plastic. All 900 and 5 digit passenger cars are plastic. Never was there a 960, 961 or 962 aluminum passenger car. You made out on that deal.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,634 ·
I guess it was 2 idiots meeting, LOL. He had them in his hands and said they were metal.
I offered to buy them as plastic and he said to keep them. And he refunded my money.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Al, those are nice passenger cars. I had multiples of those. 15 all together. Sold all to a guy I know. I probably should have kept one set just for collection purposes. They really didn't fit my layout theme. Got heavyweights and New Havens now. red and green. Much better fit.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,638 ·
I need to work on my new passenger cars. They do not roll as well as I would like. Need to remove the wheels. Clean axle ends and journals, then oil the axle ends, and they should roll fine. Pulmor wheels would help but very few of my locomotives have pulmor. I would prefer they all had pulmor. My 282 has the worst pulling power. Plastic shell so not much weight. Very strong motor. Easy to spin the drivers with 4 or more cars. I got a lot of flat cars awhile back and they did not roll well. Cleaned the axles and oiled and now they will roll away on ther own with the slightest incline.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
That is one reason why Gilbert only sold the aluminum passenger cars in three car sets. The link coupler engines with no traction tires could not reliably pull four aluminum cars. The other but less important reason was spontaneous uncoupling of the aluminum cars. Gilbert added springs to the couplers to help keep them coupled but the springs were not 100% successful.

3621 - 3640 of 3644 Posts