Model Train Forum banner
3641 - 3660 of 3678 Posts

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,642 ·
Those are great looking engines. Love the red cab roof and tender tops. I have a couple Mikados
in HO wth same paint scheme.

I thought your PRR E8 was green. I guess you have both.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Mopac, you have a lot of nice HO engines, it is too bad they are all stored. A few wall pictures of HO engines we wish we could get in S gauge would be nice.
I only have the Tuscan PRR E8. The only green PRR passenger diesels I have are the Lionel Legacy PA/PA set. I have an assortment of PRR green freight diesels from AM. Here are the green PA’s pulling seven Lionel PRR passenger cars..

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Vehicle
Mountain Vehicle Sky Plant Rolling stock

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Here is a front end picture for the Friday starting the July 4th weekend. These engines just happened to be sitting as shown, three on the turntable approach tracks, two back in the freight yard. I turned on the track power for the picture and used the supplemental LED light to bring out more details.
Foreground, left to right; a 2005 TMCC PRR Mikado; a 2011 Legacy NP Challenger; a 2021 Legacy AT&SF Pacific, the smoke at idle is visible. In the background, on the left a 2006 TMCC Erie Pacific; on the right a 2012 Legacy AT&SF Y3. Not present anywhere on the layout are the 2020 Legacy Berkshires. Both are still at Goldinhands awaiting a new Legacy board for the 765 NKP engine.
Reflecting on S gauge, Lionel cataloged the 75th Anniversary of S gauge Boxcar, pictured below, in the 2021 Catalog but it was not delivered until 2022, the 76th anniversary. Of those 76 years since the 1946 introduction of Gilbert S gauge, Gilbert only made S gauge for 21 years until their 1967 bankruptcy. Lionel puchased the copyrights, patents and most tooling at the bankruptcy liquidation sale. None were made for 12 years. In 1979 Lionel (Fundimensions) made the first three S gauge cars. Each year production increased. Lionel has been making American Flyer S gauge for 43 years and counting.
I remember my friends with trains pronouncing that we American Flyer guys would soon have S gauge trains that ran on 3 rail track! Nothing of the sort happened. All AF items made by Lionel through today are 100% backwards compatible so any item will run perfectly on an all Gilbert layout using just a transformer. Any Gilbert item will run on a modern Lionel AF layout as well. I run old Gilbert engines on my modern scale layout using a Legacy Cab2 handheld (or an iPhone with the Lionel App.) We did not have wireless control of our Gilbert trains back then, now we do. Pretty neat.

Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Track
Train Plant Rolling stock freight car Track

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Trains were running on the layout today. Here are some pictures of a PRR Y3 and a Santa Fe Y3 waiting on the freight yard leads. The PRR paint color is actually PRR very dark green-almost black. Lionel did a great job getting the PRR colors correct back in 2012 when these were made. With the glare from the sunlight the color does not show up well. These engines look good on the large radius curves, the curves are 33.5" and 37" radius. For O gaugers looking in, that rounds to O-90 and O-100.
I am looking forward to getting the new run of S gauge Y3's with the updated Legacy electronics and features, hopefully by December.

Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Motor vehicle
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Since I am a Hudson lover, the picture of the 2 nice Hudsons look great, especially the one with the heavyweights. The detail on those 2 Y3's is fantasic. I've always liked the silver/gray color on the boiler front of the Santa Fe's. Of course the rust red roof of the PRR Mikado is always nice as well. I've been tempted to do something similiar to one of my duplicate 312's using the "my railroad, my trains" philosphy. Or the silver/gray color.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I am also a Hudson lover and continue to hope that one day Lionel will build us a new, detailed Legacy Hudson. I have have two of the TMCC PRR Mikado's from 2006. They are really nice engines, especially after a fan driven smoke unit, a half speed worm gear and cruise control are added. I posed these two along with an AM Lackawanna Northern that also has a red oxide roof. The AM Northern has a subtly different red but both look equally good on the layout. This time I used supplementary lighting so the PRR green is visible compared to the black on the Lackawanna.
I think adding the red oxide to a 312/313 would look great.

Wood Brick Tints and shades Gas Brickwork
Train Track Rolling stock Railway Vehicle
Textile Wood Material property Tints and shades Cosmetics

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Tom outstanding picture comparison. I didn't realize that the red oxide roof engines also could have gray/silver over the front of the boiler. More food for thought. I kind of like the darker red oxide.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,654 ·
Just fantastic Locomotives Tom. Very nice. Your photos of trains on your layout are superb.
I always enjoy them. I have a request. How about some videos of those great locos running
on your layout. Have you ever thought of doing that? I went to YouTube tonight and watched some of my videos I put on there. I think you have seen most of them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree! Would love to see these in action. You are opening my eyes to S scale ever since I posted my thread about my Grandma's 1949 train set. I didn't realize you could buy newer technology locomotives and rolling stock in this gauge, in this day and age. You and the others here in the S scale section are showing me some cool stuff, for sure. Thanks for all you do and for sharing your photos.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,656 · (Edited)
This is for SF Gal.A video of a Lionel FlyerChief S scale Berkshire locomotive. With crew chatter, fan driven
smoke unit and sound. Train is controlled with my phone. So wireless control. Not the greatest video but what I had.
Gets the idea over. Enjoy.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="MVI 0846" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MVI 0846 - YouTube

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have experimented with shooting video with an iPhone, they did not come out well for a host of reasons related to the layout geometry in the room and the lighting.
Mopac, you should think about not being on your hands and knees on a concrete floor anymore. Unfortunately wood is no longer cheap.

3641 - 3660 of 3678 Posts