Model Train Forum banner
3661 - 3678 of 3678 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,661 ·
Tom, I already have all the 1 X 6s and all the 2 X 4s for legs I need for a layout. I want to get it going. I have told
my son I need the help with it. All I will need to buy is plywood for the top. I think I even have the paint. I am sure
I had better hurry, will be 72 this month.
Tom, nothing is cheap any longer. This inflation has got us. And I doubt anything will go down.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The longer you wait the less time there is to enjoy the layout. That is why I had mine built in 2016 before I retired, I am glad I did not wait.
No point in posting about inflation, it is nothing but depressing so I stay on positive topics when I post here.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tom, I already have all the 1 X 6s and all the 2 X 4s for legs I need for a layout. I want to get it going. I have told
my son I need the help with it. All I will need to buy is plywood for the top. I think I even have the paint. I am sure
I had better hurry, will be 72 this month.
Tom, nothing is cheap any longer. This inflation has got us. And I doubt anything will go down.
I just saw your story about the lumber you have. You should not wait to buy plywood too much longer. Seems like there is a weekly price increase. 2 alternatives are plywood good on one side or OSB. All of it 1/2" thickness. Because I was going to use several legs for support and used my 6' level, 1/2" was more than adequat. And it was cheaper. I already had several 1x4's, 2x4's, and 2x6's. That was 14 years ago. No problems. I did put 2" construction foam on top to make scenicing easier. The AF track is fastened to it with ballast and thinned Elmers glue. No nails anywhere. Once down that ballast and glue dries rock hard.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
This thread has been silent for almost two months, time to wake it up. It has been sunny and warm here for the past week and at this time of year some direct sunlight hits my layout. That only happens for the 6 weeks prior to 12/21 and for the 6 weeks after 12/21. I took some pictures late this afternon taking advantage of the direct sun. The pictures point out that some of the vehicles need a trip through the carwash!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Toy Tire Mode of transport
Building Transport hub Train Mode of transport Urban design
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Wheel Track
Tire Train Motor vehicle Car Vehicle
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Railway

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,668 · (Edited)
Last week I found these 2 cars in my mailbox. They are both very nice. One needs a little work
but was aware of it before I bought them.

First is a 984 New Haven box car. No rust at all on the frame. Might need a bath but that is it.
I have another one but at 9.00 plus 6 shipping I had to go.

Plant Motor vehicle Sky Rolling stock Train

2nd car is a 928 log car. I have 5 or 6 log cars but this is my first diecast 928. This one needs a side frame reinstalled. And it has a broken coupler. 6.00 plus around 6 shipping. Car looks new.

Plant Outdoor bench Wood Tree Track

All parts were in the package seller sent.

I also ordered 12 new brake wheels. I like having brake wheels installed.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Variations can be in the eye of the collector. To have all the log car car variations of just color, painted or unpainted, and type of chassis requires six link coupler cars and six knuckle coupler cars. Adding in the usual coupler variations for link cars adds a couple more. Fortunately there were no five digit log cars made, only a lumber car.
There were four types of chassis used for log cars, sheet metal, diecast, plastic and pressed wood. Commonly found chassis colors include black, gray, silver, white and metallic blue.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
For Thanksgiving, here are a couple of pictures of a 5'x12' loop of track with a siding, assembled on my office floor. The track is SHS sectional, all curves are 30"R. The PRR TMCC Mikado from 2006 is pulling four Lionel AF PRR passenger cars. Despite their higher rolling resistance these cars look great and the lights never flicker. The small Mikado will pull seven of these cars up a 2.7% grade, no problems.
On the siding is a new NKP Legacy Berkshire pulling six 600 series Gilbert link coupler cars. The green 622 is one of my transition cars with a KC on one end. This is one of the features I like about American Flyer S gauge; Gilbert cars from the late 40's/early 50's look right at home behind a 2021 Legacy engine.
This loop runs conventional with an AH101 transformer. The bell and whistle buttons on the remote allow accessing many of the Legacy features. I like the scent of Gilbert smoke while at my desk in the office.

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Grille Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Bumper
Rectangle Wood Flooring Grey Floor

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,676 ·
I still think you need a video camera. I can't hear the wonderful sounds, see the smoke, see the drive rods moving in those pics. Great pics though and thanks for posting them.
For Thanksgiving, here are a couple of pictures of a 5'x12' loop of track with a siding, assembled on my office floor. The track is SHS sectional, all curves are 30"R. The PRR TMCC Mikado from 2006 is pulling four Lionel AF PRR passenger cars. Despite their higher rolling resistance these cars look great and the lights never flicker. The small Mikado will pull seven of these cars up a 2.7% grade, no problems.
On the siding is a new NKP Legacy Berkshire pulling six 600 series Gilbert link coupler cars. The green 622 is one of my transition cars with a KC on one end. This is one of the features I like about American Flyer S gauge; Gilbert cars from the late 40's/early 50's look right at home behind a 2021 Legacy engine.
This loop runs conventional with an AH101 transformer. The bell and whistle buttons on the remote allow accessing many of the Legacy features. I like the scent of Gilbert smoke while at my desk in the office.

View attachment 593463 View attachment 593464 View attachment 593465

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have the both an iPhone and a Nikon that take videos. The ones I have tried making are ok but nothing more. It quickly became obvious I would need video editing software to create anything worth posting. Watching some professional YouTubers create with this software convinced me not to start down this path. The bigger issue is I do not have a video hosting site/account and have no plans to get one.
So, unless my son comes to the house and shoots some videos none will be made and posted.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,678 ·
I understand what you are saying. I use YouTube for my crappy videos. I use my cannon camera for those few videos you have seen. Actually with more light it is not bad. Light is better for any camera.

3661 - 3678 of 3678 Posts