Model Train Forum banner

381 - 400 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
cramden, you will find your bag of coal right after you buy another bag of coal.
Nice dump car.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Those tank cars are also one of my favorites as a kid, therefore.... I have a boat-load of them,lol!!.. I must have 20 625, 625G cars,at least a dozen 925 Gulf cars, 3-4 3 dome cars, and 2-3 5-digit cars, but the 625 is my favorite. When I was a kid, and was holding the tank car, it made a special "jingle" when you lightly shook it, it must be the link couplers. Try it,lol..Reminds of the trains Dad would set up at Christmas...Thanks Dad...

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
IMG_0611.JPG

I may have showed this pic before, if so, here it is again.
It is an ebay purchase. Runs and smokes real nice.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ready to shot down those pesky Russian, Chinese and North Korean rockets! Maybe even Lionel three rail but I might be able to pass on that. For a matter of fact, I will launch at any threat to my Ping Pong Table American Flyer Layout! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ready to shot down those pesky Russian, Chinese and North Korean rockets! Maybe even Lionel three rail but I might be able to pass on that. For a matter of fact, I will launch at any threat to my Ping Pong Table American Flyer Layout! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

+1 How about a video of that rocket launching?

I tried with my cellphone, failure...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Good looking tank cars. I like the die-cast frame ones even though they have less detail than the plastic frame ones. They are heavier and seem to track better. Here's my pic for the day. A boxed 716 automatic dump car from 1948. Somehow, I have managed to misplace the bag of coal. :confused: View attachment 505928
Cramden;

No problem, don't worry about the coal, Christmas is not too far away.

Dan

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
IMG_0545.JPG

An 803 boxcar and a girder car. Neither of these cars are in great condition. Closer to rough. Looks like someone painted the girder car trucks silver. These are both from a cheap ebay lot purchase.
They look better in the pic than they are.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
They do look ok in the picture. When someone painted the Girder car trucks silver they also painted the flat car body; the lines where the lettering was masked are visible because the colors do not match.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Well it is a good thing that I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. They look good to me, but I am not a rivet counter.:laugh:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Tom, some people should not be allowed to posses a paint brush. The girder might have been painted also. It is still a girder.

Broke, I would still use these cars because I am not a rivet counter either.
The ATSF symbol in the upper left is a paper sticker. This was the picture side of the 803.
No symbol sticker on other side and for some reason the lettering not so strong.
I think most "runner" cars have a picture side.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Tom, some people should not be allowed to posses a paint brush. The girder might have been painted also. It is still a girder.

Broke, I would still use these cars because I am not a rivet counter either.
The ATSF symbol in the upper left is a paper sticker. This was the picture side of the 803.
No symbol sticker on other side and for some reason the lettering not so strong.
I bought some decal paper to use on my ink jet printer. I had hoped to create some custom logos but, to date, I have not tried. They are suppose to work good with some decal fixer and a light coat of clear paint. A project for a later day...

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Broke, I have not used any decal paper either. I think it works well with some practice.
Like anything else. I remember as a kid doing decals on my plastic models such as planes.
They would always look fine for awhile and then they would dry out and curl away from the model.
That's where the clearcoat comes in. Keeps those decals down.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Broke, I have not used any decal paper either. I think it works well with some practice.
Like anything else. I remember as a kid doing decals on my plastic models such as planes.
They would always look fine for awhile and then they would dry out and curl away from the model.
That's where the clearcoat comes in. Keeps those decals down.
The decal problem was always an issue. Now the clearcoat after they dry fixes that. Actually I use a Semi Gloss, because real life is not glossy. :laugh:

Dan

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
They don't look too bad Al, maybe repaint the flat if it bothers you. But since they're runners, I wouldn't worry about them. The Santa Fe stickers are available if I remember correctly, if you wanted to replace them. The 803 isn't bad looking at all.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
I use polyurethane in a spray can to incase things with a clearcoat. And like Panther said
Semi Gloss takes the shine off of it.

cramden, thanks, they are fine to run. In real life, cars are not perfect. They have scrapes on them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The problem with inkjet printers and decal paper is that there is no "white" color. Computer printers are made with the assumption that the printing stock will primarily be white paper, so no need for a white cartridge. To do white with decal paper you need to paint the area of the decal white first, which will show through the blank areas where white would be on the decal. An outfit named "ALPS" once made a printer that did do colors like white and gold, but it was not an inkjet. They haven't been made for many years now.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice one Fred, I'll have to post some pics of my oddball 969 later. But now you need to get one of these in case you miss with your shot! IMG_0006.JPG

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Oddball 969

This is the odd 969 rocket launcher I picked up some time ago. I couldn't understand why someone would run the wires on the top of the deck instead of soldering them back to the bottom of the truck rivets, although the long wire goes down the proper hole but comes back up near the middle. When I went to change them I noticed no solder residue on the bottom of the rivets. Hmm... I still hadn't noticed that the tool box was yellow painted and not the normal Tuscon color. When I realized that, I looked for other examples of yellow boxes on 969's in books and on the net. Still haven't seen another like it. It's possible the factory was out of Tuscon boxes and substituted a yellow one. I find it hard to believe that the wire job got passed the inspectors at Gilbert, but who knows. Anyway, I decided to leave it as found rather than change the wiring. It does work, so a IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG mystery for another day or person to solve.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Cramden, assuming that is original it is possible it did not make it past the inspectors. Things like this were sold at a steep discount to Gilbert employees at the Company store.

381 - 400 of 2475 Posts