Model Train Forum banner

541 - 560 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Cramden here is one of my 980’s I posted before. Yours has the better decal, many seem to have worn or faded even though the cars were not run on a layout.

C7CBC481-7405-4D5D-A612-33C515B4822A.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks Cramden. Most were bought years ago. I don't remember the last time I bought a new to me steam engine. I did once upon a time have a Rocket chrome set and 9 extra chrome passenger cars. I sold that Rocket set and all of the chrome cars because I just didn't like the way it went with my layout. Give me steam locomotives, some heavyweight passenger cars, with a few GP's thrown in, and I'm happy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
AmFlyer, since I grew up in Southern Ill, (some say I've never grown up, even at 73 since I still "play with trains"), that is common rock formation down there too as well as Missouri. Also I have taken many vacation trips to and through Kentucky and Tennessee. That same rock type is all over down there. I always liked the strata look. I took lots of pictures on those trips so I had good references to go by.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I lived for a while in the west suburbs and the city of Chicago. Pretty flat there with lots of good black topsoil. Nothing like those rock formations.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yep pretty flat around here too, downstate from Chicago, although as you go towards Peoria there are a few hills but nothing like I was around in Southern Ill., Missouri, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

The only good thing about this part of the state was the farm my dad bought when we moved to this area. As I related on here before, when we would come into town from the west, we past the Chicago & Alton, later GM & O, rail yards which was a large complex of repair and maintenance shops plus a rail yard. I was lucky enough to be around when there were still steam engines running at the time, right at the steam to diesel era. Seeing a bunch of steam engines sitting for various reasons was something I will never forget. There were several tracks for cars and trucks to cross so dad couldn't drive very fast. Great!! I loved it!! I would just sit and stare at all the steam engines either already steamed up for service or just sitting, as we crossed all those tracks. I think there were 5-6 tracks across the road. Of course they were always rough. That is where I no doubt developed the love of steam trains even though those evil diesel F and E unit engines, and GP 9's were sneaking in.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
By Golly AFGP9, you got the pic thing down. Its all easy once you get the hang of it.
Yes, we have the layered rock here. I have a few stacks of ceiling tile I gathered up
for my HO layout. I will use some on the S layout. AFGP9, nice stable of steamers. I
see you have a 1948 Royal Blue. Me too.

The B&O boxcars are nice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here are pics of scenery using broken ceiling tile that I mentioned a while back. I have others of my track work that I also mentioned using AF track. When I figure out how I got his far, I will post the track pics.
That looks very cool. I am familiar with those rock formations and yours look perfect. I appreciate all the trouble you went to getting them posted. I am going to experiment with the process once I find some ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
For today I went back to a steam engine not frequently seen on layouts. This engine is a great runner and smoker. With the 2 step reverse unit it demands perfectly clean wheels and track so it does not suddenly reverse.
The 21005 PRR B6sb 0-6-0 Switcher.

7C570013-B53D-47B7-AE86-152744D22F25.jpg

43426256-BCE7-4A21-ABFC-86361B59CC5B.jpg

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
Very cool locomotive. I have never seen a PRR switcher. Looks like in very nice condition.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
These are very nice engines made in 1957 and 1958, I have a 21004 and the 21005. The one pictured grades at Ex+ to LN. I have been tempted to have this engine converted so I can run it as a Legacy engine with operating couplers and sound. Somehow I just cannot bring myself to do that to this nice of a rare engine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tom, don't do it! That's way too nice to mess up. I have the 21004, but can't remember seeing a 21005 for sale at shows. They're fun engines to run with the 2 step reverse, but as you state, 2 step reverse units don't like dirty wheels or track.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks, one of the rear tender steps is bent in slightly but its staying that way. It's also my only knuckle coupler Hudson presently.

·
Registered
825 Posts
AmFlyer great looking switcher. Those don't show up very often at shows that I have attended. When they have, I have had to pass because the price was way out of touch. Way over the Greenberg listed price. Maybe some day.

A big thank you to all that have commented on my locomotive line up. Like I said, I had some other pics of single locomotives that didn't turn out clearly so will retake again and post.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
cramden, I should have known your K325 would look like new. My 326 has a tender
step that is bent out some. Its staying that way also. does not bother me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
AmFlyer Tom, you mentioned converting your 21004 to Lionel Legacy. First, please don't. Second, may I suggest an alternate method? TMCC. I love it. You don't get any more sound than you do now by using the TMCC since Gilbert AF engines are not TMCC equipped as you know but you do get way better low speed engine control which is great for a switcher as you have. Plus I can walk around and not be tethered to one spot with the hand held controller you see. It also controls all switches or I can use the AF switch controls. Basically the TMCC acts just like a direct wired transformer contolling engine speed. Here is what I did.

All of the controls are mounted on a rolling control stand. That really isn't important to the TMCC but just my way of building a control center. As pictured you see the type Z Lionel transformer which has one side turned to 18V constant. The other side controls the section you see just in front of the stand. The 1133 setting there is used only for accessories and building lights and such. I do have other AF transformers I could have used as you see in the picture. Those 18B's, or the 4B in place of the Lionel 1133. The 18's were just too big in size. Therefore the 1133. I did use the 4B but for some reason when it was on for an extended period of time running accessories it got too warm in my opinion.
Now the down side to using the TMCC system is cost and finding the system since it has been out of production for years. I have had mine for years, all bought new from my then local hobby shop.

Kenny AF pics for Forum 143.jpg

AF pics for Forum 144.jpg

AF pics for Forum 145.jpg

AF pics for Forum 149.jpg

541 - 560 of 2475 Posts