Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1621 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like your fragile lamp!
That's the only "Major" Award in my humble life. We love that movie at X-mas here.

I've thought about a X-mas display with the tree & tv (with that movie) in the background, Too bad the tv is up the wall in a corner.

Mopac, I was inspired by your outside display, & others. Top Notch!

That steamer is a 21085 from an uncle. When he saw how crazy I was for my original 1957 Baldwin diesel set. He gave me his American Flyer stuff. Unlike him I never did/never will outgrow it!

It's smoke output was sub-par. I rebuilt it with tips from our members here. My wife claims it'll (almost) set off the smoke detector up there.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sagas, the 215 Water Tank in your picture was sold from 1934 through 1940. There were three variations made. The one in the picture is a type 1 with a green ladder. Type II had a red ladder and Type III a yellow ladder. The original weight is a medium gray color.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gabe the Lamplighter #23780

Gabe was given to me as a Xmas gift back in 58' and I still have the original box and instructions (just too lazy to dig them out). I still enjoy the action of him going up the ladder one step at a time and sliding back down. It should be shown on a layout but I am still working on one and trying to place all 30 accessories I have in it. J.B.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
For todays picture I chose a 342AC that I run on the layout and a modified 613 GN boxcar. I bought the 342AC December 1993 at the DuPage meet. It is just short of excellent condition because the lettering is a bit weak and there is very slight paint wear on the edge of the coal bunker. It is likely a 1950 engine, it has AF not AFL on the tender and it has the 2 spring rather than 3 spring tender trucks. I have never had it apart to look for a date stamp, it is completely original.
The 613 has an SnS track cleaning chassis under it with link rather than knuckle couplers. They usually put this assembly in a D&H gondola and use the center canister to hide the vertical motor.

A029473D-391A-41C3-B6D6-44508942629D.jpg

I tried posing these on the mantle in my office rather than on the layout.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not as impressive as everyone else's but such as it is. I need to send my projects to FlyerNut for his magic but I am still trying to push myself thru it. Maybe some day... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gabe the Lamplighter is awesome. Great condition. 30 accessories, holy cow.
The 342AC is very nice. I don't have one of those switchers. That will change someday. A nice one is not cheap.
Nice 312 Broke. Let flyernut go through it and reassemble. Those K5s are cool locomotives.

I guess I didn't realize the cool things our members have. Thanks for showing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For AmFlyer & mpoac

Thanks for the additional info on the little water tank Tom. It seems Gabe has had a better return on investment than most banks. His original price in the 58' catalogue was $9.95.

At one point I had more accessories than trains mopac, however that has changed significantly. I have come to the conclusion that rather than dedicate one floor of the house to accommodate everything I will have to settle for a small layout and rotate trains and certain accessories in and out from time to time (pity).

Regards, J.B.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Sagas, you can rotate your office display also. I bet many of us can't have all locomotives on the layout all the time. I hope to have 4 loops on my layout. How many locomotives can you have on 4 loops. For a photo you might load them up, but to run probably 4. Maybe 1 or 2 more on sidings. I guess I have maybe 24 locomotives counting diesels, maybe 30 counting A-B-A units as 3. At one time I was hoping to have 10 steamers. I probably have 20 steamers. I overdo all my hobbies. LOL. At one time I had over 7,000 1/64 diecast vehicles. I sold a few thousand and down to 4,000. I have plenty for a layout. Although most are still in their package, most are collector pieces. I sold one for $750.00. Yep. a 1/64 car for 750. Only 3 of them were made and I was lucky enough to have one. I have many that only 100 or less were made. Found many of them at Toys R Us. I was a professional hunter. Spent a lot of time hunting. You have to know what you are hunting for.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Like you mopac I had several thousand die cast vehicles as I used to be a Hot Wheels and Matchbox collector/ seller. The most I ever had was 5,000. Took up three walls in my basement plus I forget how many of those plastic containers that have pullout drawers. I never got $750 for any one of them but I did sell several in the $200-300 range. That was then turned into train buying money or I bought somebody's die cast collection to resell for train money. Still got just over 2,000 of the things. Some of those cars and trucks look fine on my Flyer layout. Matchbox made some nice stuff way back when. Since my layout is in the early years of the steam to diesel era, those cars and trucks go a long way toward identifying and dating the years, especially those old Matchbox Cadillacs and trucks.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
LOL, I only got 750 once. Most are in the 30 to 100 range. But that is pretty good.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gabe was given to me as a Xmas gift back in 58' and I still have the original box and instructions (just too lazy to dig them out). I still enjoy the action of him going up the ladder one step at a time and sliding back down. It should be shown on a layout but I am still working on one and trying to place all 30 accessories I have in it. J.B.
I was shopping these recently. Like Amflyer says, the prices for originals in great condition are astounding! Very nice.

I just scored a reproduction in mint condition for $68 (shipped) and am pretty happy about that, but it is not an original. I'd rather have an original, but ... $68! I'll post a pic when it arrives.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is the 312 I have gone over 3 times. Third time is the charm! Runs good. Smokes. Pulls it's original cars with no problem, even at half throttle. Reverse unit has a satisfying "snap" and is consistent.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Here is the 312 I have gone over 3 times. Third time is the charm! Runs good. Smokes. Pulls it's original cars with no problem, even at half throttle. Reverse unit has a satisfying "snap" and is consistent.
Do you use a transition car on your set??

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Here's my contribution... I have a beautiful 303 I'm working on, but this is the one I'd like to show, especially for MOPAC. It's the "Blue Lady", featuring Jim Morrison from the Doors.1 of 9999 made. Morrison actually owned a car like this.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do you use a transition car on your set??
I think you are asking if one of the commuter cars has both a knuckle coupler and link coupler. The answer is yes. It was the way it came from the garage sale find circa 1969. Though I have not run the New Haven commuter cars yet. I have pulled the original freight cars that came with this 312 when I got it. Pulls them easily and they are all converted to KC, though again, before I acquired them.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Shaker, that 312 and the cars look great. Glad it is performing. LOL, some times it takes 3 times. And nice old diecast.
I don't have ANY original AF passenger cars. Not happy about that. I really just started collecting AF 2 to 3 years ago.

flyernut, sounds like you found your "Blue Lady" Can't see it though. I think I want to
acquire a 303, 307, 308. Never ends does it.

41 - 60 of 1621 Posts