Model Train Forum banner

621 - 640 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Mopac, is that number an ink stamp or a dry transfer? In the picture it looks like a stamp, those are hard to do that well.
Today seems to be Hudson day. Keeping with that theme this is a picture of my original 1950 322AC Hudson. Staged in front of it is a Legacy UP Challenger. The reason I took this picture is both of these engines were Christmas gifts-60 years apart! 1950 and 2010.

FBFDD473-9EED-40C0-8F71-64C438830D5E.jpg

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Both are fine locomotives Tom. Beautiful. Great pic. I have a 3985 Challenger in HO.
I have seen the real 3985 here in St Louis.

I don't know about the 326 cab numbers. I agree it looks like a stamp.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Were they dry transfers you would be able to see the edge of the numbers. I did not know the original 3985 was in St Louis.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Three very nice Hudsons guys. I believe the Challenger is in the roundhouse at Cheyenne. AFGP9, don't forget the die-cast 632 LNE from 1946. Here's a picture of my Circus coach. This is the unpainted plastic body with a die-cast frame, paper diffuser, and clear window glazing. IMG_0063a.JPG

·
Registered
825 Posts
Cramden I referenced the die-cast LNE the other night. I related a story about having one in my hands at a show but the seller wanted $120 firm and it had a scratch through the side logo plus was missing one of the bottom doors. I passed on it.

Kenny

·
Registered
825 Posts
I forgot to comment on your circus coach. Very sharp. That is one area, the circus stuff, I've never ventured into. I know a guy who has 3 complete sets of those plus with who knows how many variations of various things like different color wagons or rail cars and I think animals too. He offered to sell me a set but I declined. He also has a circus tent with I don't know how many people, animals, and extra circus cars staged in front of his display. One of those sets he runs on his layout . The rest are display pieces. He has really worked hard at getting everything Gilbert made.
His circus tent set up is a very nice display.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Cramden I referenced the die-cast LNE the other night. I related a story about having one in my hands at a show but the seller wanted $120 firm and it had a scratch through the side logo plus was missing one of the bottom doors. I passed on it.

Kenny
My error then, I thought you were talking about a Virginian die-cast hopper you passed on. AmFlyer has quite the collection of various Circus loads along with a boxed set. There is an interesting article on the NASG website about all of the different Circus items. https://www.nasg.org/AF/Articles/CircusCages.php Another picture of different cages and cars is here, scroll down to the Flyernut meeting at York. http://myflyertrains.org/

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It sounds like the person Kenny knows has a few more circus pieces than I do, three complete sets! I think one of my coaches has a die cast chassis like the nice one Cramden posted. The nicest thing about the D/C chassis is the steps.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My error then, I thought you were talking about a Virginian die-cast hopper you passed on. AmFlyer has quite the collection of various Circus loads along with a boxed set. There is an interesting article on the NASG website about all of the different Circus items. https://www.nasg.org/AF/Articles/CircusCages.php Another picture of different cages and cars is here, scroll down to the Flyernut meeting at York. http://myflyertrains.org/
Hey thanks for those links. I especially enjoyed the one from MyFlyerTrains.org because of the article showing how to build that AF steam engine tester. I have a commercial one but I think I like the one shown better so I will build one.

Regarding the circus information, I am convinced even more that I made the right decision to never get involved with that stuff. It looks like about the time you think you have every variation of every cage, rail car, or animals, one more turns up and the hunt would be on again. Seems to me like a person would have to spend most of your time looking for all of it, not to mention who knows how much money. I know that the guy I mentioned with the 3 sets and the many variations of everything has a ton of money tied up and has spent untold hours and miles chasing down leads to just one piece and buying it.
I will admit to being intrigued by the circus stuff once upon a time. Years ago when I saw some circus stuff at a show, I thought about maybe getting involved but then I looked into all the then known variations and said no. Then later more variations turned up. I consulted the guy with the 3 sets once and he showed me his collection, up to that point, which today is way bigger now.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Some additional pictures of 715’s today and, for me, a real surprise. The first picture is the 715 with the solid green Manoil Coupe load. The unloading car is the same one the solid Blue coupe I posted earlier is on, I did not bother to get out the unloader for the green car.
The second and third pictures are of my original 715 That came in the 370 set I received for Christmas of 1952. I was still too young to remember receiving the set. That 715 has a lot of miles on it. Since it was in a set box it came in just the stamped wrapper, not the separate sale outer box. Much to my surprise I just noticed for the first time the truck without the sliding shoe is a 3 spring truck!!! Of course the other alternative is I used to know but forgot. That is too scary so I am going with “first time I ever noticed.”

2FBF045E-FD79-4A11-9028-965ACF2204BE.jpg

18AD9FFA-D8D2-4C4F-8307-021EF53F228C.jpg

CB895C60-E419-49DD-96F3-1F4D41AD8E67.jpg

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
AF Rocket Launcher
(Sorry about two posts today. I am struggling with my computer and I wanted to post this while my mine is a littler clearer.:p

Attachments

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
IMG_0643.JPG

The other day it was Hudson day. Today it is flat car day. Last
night I was adding my PikeMaster cars to my inventory list.
One was this New Haven flat car. This is a first for me, it has
no road number. Maybe at one time it had a body or a load
that had the road number. If anybody has an answer please inform me.

All the axles are metal so they should roll ok.

Nice cars Broke.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The New Haven flatcar was used to carry a variety of loads. The only version that did not have the number of the car under the small NH on the left side in the picture is the 24564 1960 uncatalogued pipe carrier. The problem is those all had Pikemaster trucks and yours does not.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tom, I think you got the car id. correct. If you look again at the trucks, they are indeed PikeMaster plastic ones. So most likely the car is a 24564 from 1960. Maybe mopac can confirm this.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice cars B.C. It's always fun to have some cars that do something. I never had any as a kid so I have quite a few of the different types.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
cramden and Tom, the trucks do kinda look like sintered trucks in the pic, but they are
PikeMaster trucks. Why no road number? The car is so light, I think I will use it to carry my 3
1/64 diecast farm tractors. That should add some weight.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Cramden, I looked at the trucks several times blown up on my 40” 4K monitor. I really thought they were sintered. If plastic Pikemaster then it is absolutely the 24564 as you say.

621 - 640 of 2475 Posts