Model Train Forum banner

821 - 840 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks, at one time I had all of the 980 3 digit ones, but sold some of those off when thinning the herd. I should have kept the 989 Northwestern, that was my favorite of the 980 series. Never had any of the 5 digit ones.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
I love tank cars Broke. They may be my favorites. Look good. Nice to see you posting.
You have been quiet. Been watching for you.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I love tank cars Broke. They may be my favorites. Look good. Nice to see you posting.
You have been quiet. Been watching for you.
I folow this forum every day but I have not had much to say lately. Thanks for the complement. I love tanks cars also.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good looking tank cars Fred, the layout looks like it's coming along nicely. Lots of accessories. Glad to see you posted again.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I like the Koppers tank car. Koppers is associated with Pittsburgh, where I am from.
I like those Koppers cars too but why on every one I have ever seen is the "Koppers" insignia always faded? I have looked at countless ones over the years at train shows all are faded. Too many fingers touching that insignia maybe?

Kenny

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My new toy. The only problem is that the beacon does not rotate due to the cold, did I say cold, in my garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
Love the beacon Broke. Looks like a nice one. Man, you have some accessories.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good looking beacon Fred. Sometimes by playing with the angles on the beacon cover you can get them to rotate from the heat of the bulb, but most times they don't work as designed. Give it a spin and enjoy it while its moving.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Thanks Mopac! And, Cramden, that is just exactly what I do. I will wait until next summer to see if it will do anything better.:eek:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have one of those Beacon Towers as well. Same issue, the beacon light does not turn. I have the correct dimpled bulb for the point to set on to spin but nothing. Yeah I can spin it but that's not fun. Mostly it just sets and shines. I don't have an airport any how. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I take one.

Kenny

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just keep the bulb lit, and it should move. Mine is in the basement, unheated, but not too cold, but not warm. Check the vanes on the top and make sure they are adjusted properly - should all have the same angle. They are just like the old Christmas ornaments that spun around, but I am sure most of you are not as old as I and don't remember them.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
Like the candle holder with the angel and vanes. heat from the candle turns the vanes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just keep the bulb lit, and it should move. Mine is in the basement, unheated, but not too cold, but not warm. Check the vanes on the top and make sure they are adjusted properly - should all have the same angle. They are just like the old Christmas ornaments that spun around, but I am sure most of you are not as old as I and don't remember them.
I do remember those ornaments since I am 73 years old.

As to adjusting those vanes on the beacon, I have tried them at all kinds of angles. No luck. Gave up. I took mine off the layout for a photo and what to my wondering eyes should I see but mine is a Lionel!! Like a lot of my accessories, I bought this many years ago but sure don't remember it being a Lionel!

Kenny

AF cleaning cars and Beacon 010.jpg

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't know about our ages, but I have a little boxed set of those. One of my other weaknesses, vintage Christmas ornaments. They are just as difficult to get working right. I have the C-7 strings of lights that you need to sit them atop of. The hardest part is getting the bulb to stay vertical so the little shades sit up straight. I will post a picture of them when the Christmas decorations come out for their yearly appearance.

821 - 840 of 2475 Posts