Model Train Forum banner

961 - 980 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I mentioned a few days ago that I had some LNE 632's with variations so I thought I better post some pictures. They were all bought from the same vendor at a show who had several more. He apparently didn't notice the differences because he never said anything. Before I went I had just looked through those cars in my Gilbert Gallery listings so I knew about some of the more obvious variations. I usually run them in a coal hopper unit train similar to what Tom showed. The previous owner, the vendor, converted them from linkers to knuckles but I didn't care since I bought them for next to nothing. $5 a piece. The top one is missing lower steps. Don't care since they are layout runners.
Aside from the insignia differences, the top one is a darker gray. The insignia differences are listed as dark red, top, regular size, lighter red, middle, regular size, and the bottom one which has a smaller red center than the rest.

Kenny

Hopper cars 030.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pictures of 740 handcars have already been posted here but I decided to post another one from my collection. This one has the decal variation with the stripes, the handcar is in LN condition. However what I think makes this one more interesting is the OB. It is in excellent condition with all the inserts. No I did not post one picture upside down. That is intentional to make it easier to read the handwritten sale price on the sticker. The original price was $7.49, but is was marked down to $1.98! If only I had been there in the mid 50’s to get a few at that price!

View attachment 514242

View attachment 514244

View attachment 514246
Nice handcar. I have that on my wish list. Now to find one for that price.:D

Gary

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I am not sure I would have noticed those insignia variations on a sellers table. Definitely not on an EBAY listing. I looked at my inventory, have six 632's. Two are painted, four are plastic. No indications on the inventory notes about the red dots so I might or might not have some. One more thing to research in the future.
Nice 946 Erie Floodlight. I see far fewer of those than the 646 link coupler version.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tom go to the Gilbert Gallery. There you will find all kinds of information on these and other hoppers.
http//thegilbertgallery.org or another source I have found useful is
www.geocities.com/the upstairstrain/Hoppers_Cars.html
Like I said, I would never have known about the red insignias except for having just looked through my binder full of pictures of all AF rolling stock before going to a train show. I was going to find hoppers so I could make up a decent looking coal unit train and ran across this vendor. I do have other LNE 632's but not in great shape so they are used in coal drags or are scene pieces.

Kenny

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here are variations of the 640 hoppers. Notice the one on the left with the marbling in the gray paint. I posted these previously when flyernut and I were talking about these cars. He had just found the white/cream colored one as I recall.

Kenny

Hopper cars 018.jpg

Hopper cars 020.jpg

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice 946, that was the first car I bought when my renewed interest in Flyer began back in the eighties. Growing up, my friend had a Lionel floodlight car and I thought that was the coolest car going around the track with the lights out and the searchlight lighting up the layout. That's a lot of hoppers, I see that I've fallen behind in the 632 department. Here's my one and only. Gray plastic from 1948. IMG_0124.JPG

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #971
Hoppers are one of my favorite cars. Nice one cramden.
I have a few 640s. Not many variations.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks, here's a hopper loaded with stone, a 24225 Santa Fe that's painted red vs. plastic. This is part of the Arrow set I posted a while back. IMG_0121.JPG

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My new AF 471 to go with the 470. It looks good except for a small finger nail size chip of chrome on the other side. I have yet tried to run it, but we will see...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks to be in great shape for chrome plated Fred. Shouldn't have any problems with it, it's a dummy unit with an Air Chime Whistle, so no motors.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Looks to be in great shape for chrome plated Fred. Shouldn't have any problems with it, it's a dummy unit with an Air Chime Whistle, so no motors.
Thanks! From what I have heard, Air Chime Whistles don't really sound too good. I am wondering if I should invest in a controller and button.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #977
Looks nice Broke. I like it. I bought me something today. I guess they are called
Frontier cars. The yellow passenger coaches. They usually sell for at least 18.00 each
in good condition. I got 3 #20s in great condition for 37.00. No rubs, no scratches.
Working couplers. I have been watching them. I know they go behind a frontier loco,
mine will go behind an atlantic. I will show pics when I get them.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Fred, make sure you look at the wiring instructions for the diesel horn controller before you commit. All the power to the track has to go through the controller. Alternatively an isolated block can be set up with fiber pins in the track for a short section where the horn will work. Nice B unit.
Cramden, the 24225 is in great condition, I like how the bright red makes it stand out.
On the 632 hoppers I still struggle to see true variations in the red dots other than one is present or not. Looking at the variations I have, and there are different sizes and different color intensity, they appear to me to be QC issues in the plant rather than different paint colors or different size stamp masks. But that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #979
Broke, just get you a billboard with horn and you can blow it anytime you want.
Might sound better also.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I use a 561 Diesel billboard horn. Its a matter of opinion if it sounds better. It is a lot easier to set up.

961 - 980 of 2475 Posts