Model Train Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Broke, just get you a billboard with horn and you can blow it anytime you want.
Might sound better also.
I have one. One for diesel and one for steamers. I don't think that I will do the vibrator approach.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
One more 632 picture. This is one on the layout, it is 1948 with brass coupler weights. I believe the one Cramden posted is a darker gray plastic than this one. This appears to me as the “normal” gray color with the “normal” red dots. The difference in the two pictures is the lighting, that is why these cars need to be side by side to discern the differences, other than the black ones or the white ones.

E73119A0-06C8-49B6-8339-23C7F8FA6D79.jpg

09013318-4AE1-4526-9029-1576D52046A2.jpg

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wasn't sure about mine being a darker gray plastic because I didn't have another one to compare it with. Yours is a great example. I'm glad I didn't get involved with variations all that much on any item, it can get expensive.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Concerning the 632 discussion, unless you have a number of these cars sitting end to end, it is hard to tell the difference in the shades of gray and the red center in the insignia. My photo of the 3 doesn't really show the red dot too clearly in the insignia but there is definitely a difference in the size and color of them. I can only go by what I have but there are two shades of gray. I have more than the 3 I pictured. They were the best of what I have. Maybe I should have taken the picture in my photo both for better lighting.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Kenny, I agree with you that there are at least 2 different gray plastic colors used to make 632's. My only point on the plastic was that to be sure which car is which color they need to be photographed together just as you did. Trying to compare your picture to mine is risky because of the variations in lighting between different photographs.
Regarding the red dots, I feel the variations were random with production runs rather than actual changes as the plastic color was.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
My turn.. here's a few of my K-5's, including a new to me 310, the rest are 312's, both plain Jane's 001.JPG

002.JPG and a few 312AC's.. There's still a few more but their're AWOL.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
A few of my Hudson's..1 with SIT with a knuckle coupler. If you notice, there are several tenders with different graphics.. There's also one waiting for surgery. 003.JPG

004.JPG

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Bear in mind, all those large plastic tubs hold more engines, sets, my aluminum passenger cars, my Royal Blue set, Silver Streak, and my new Circus engine, not counting what's on the lay-out.. I can't keep up with them all, as I like to grab one and run it, but it has to run perfectly, or I muck with it, just to put it back in storage. I hope I have the time to go through all of them before I pass away. I want to make sure my kids and grand-kids don't have to mess around with something that's not running.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
That is a lot of engines! What I think is so nice about it is that all these engines of Flyernut have been repaired and maintained so that as 65 year olds the are as good as when they were new.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #995
flyernut, you are one sick puppy. Nice collection. You must buy smoke fluid by
the gallon.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
That is a lot of engines! What I think is so nice about it is that all these engines of Flyernut have been repaired and maintained so that as 65 year olds the are as good as when they were new.
I try my best Tom.. I just don't have the time to keep them all in the pink, and truth-fully, I don't know where the heck they all are,lol!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
flyernut, you are one sick puppy. Nice collection. You must buy smoke fluid by
the gallon.
I have a large bottle of original scent, about a quart, and around 7 different scents for the chief bill payer so she can't complain about the stink,lol.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #998
Has anyone here tried Frog Juice. It is the fluid used in smoke machines like a
rock band would use. I have heard it works in model trains. You can buy a gallon
of it on ebay. Price is about what a small bottle of smoke fluid costs. I might try
it some day. Not sure why it is named frog juice.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Bear in mind, all those large plastic tubs hold more engines, sets, my aluminum passenger cars, my Royal Blue set, Silver Streak, and my new Circus engine, not counting what's on the lay-out.. I can't keep up with them all, as I like to grab one and run it, but it has to run perfectly, or I muck with it, just to put it back in storage. I hope I have the time to go through all of them before I pass away. I want to make sure my kids and grand-kids don't have to mess around with something that's not running.
Hope you have lots of kids and grand kids flyernut, that's a lot of inventory. If not, there's going to be a whole lot of lucky kids that will someday get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. The best part is that when they put them on the track and turn on the power, they won't have to figure out what's wrong, instead they'll have a positive experience and just might become hooked on the simple joy of running Flyers.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Today we have some NH 650 and 651 passenger cars. These are early versions in unpainted plastic with die cast chassis. The 650’s are illuminated One 650 and the 651 have brass coupler weights, 1948 and the other 650 has black weights.

437861E1-B174-4CF6-B1D8-5CE16B8F755F.jpg

C98E76FF-2209-48FA-9128-1173BB10C5B9.jpg

C6458716-457B-4C09-AD7F-5DBD5A2C3BC8.jpg

6695247C-58EF-4F20-A0F6-78A32BA72848.jpg

981 - 1000 of 2475 Posts