Model Train Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Cramden posted two 655 pictures immediately above. The top picture has standard link coupler trucks with two vertical springs stamped between the journal boxes. The 655 immediately below it has 3 vertical springs stamped between the journal boxes and the spacing between the axles is wider. These 3 spring trucks were developed partly to stop the engine/tender stalling when going across the 90 deg crossings but primarily to have enough space to fit a sliding pickup shoe on the 295 tender trucks.
Thanks for the explanation. I will have to pull out some of my cars in order to see as I can't tell well enough in the photos. All I see is a black box on the truck. But, I see a difference in the height, I think.:laugh: Please excuse my affirmatives.:smilie_auslachen:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'll try to post my green 650's and 651 tomorrow. Tom or anyone, do you know what kind of polish can be used on the unpainted plastic? I remember reading about being able to polish them to remove scratches in the plastic but I can't recall what it was. My green ones have some marks on them and was going to see if I could clean them up, but don't want to use something that might make them worse.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The 3 spring trucks were required for the 1951 295 and the 1952 285. They began to appear on rolling stock but they serve no purpose there. Here is a closeup of one.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Cramden, you can use Meguiar's cleaner wax on the car roofs. If that is not quite good then use the Step 1 swirl remover followed by the cleaner wax. Do not go anywhere near the paint or lettering. Problem with using it on the sides is the part that was polished will be visible compared to the part by the lettering that was not.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
If you buy Gilbert standard 2 bay hoppers make sure they do not have 3 spring trucks. If they do the car will not run correctly, as soon as it enters a curve the wheel will bind on the underside of the hopper. The 3 spring truck is most commonly found on the 640 Wabash as far as hoppers go.
Looking at the two pictures I posted the 633 trucks were stamped with a fresh die, the springs are well defined. Note on the two springs the coils are high on the outside and slope to the center. The 3 spring 622 was stamped with a worn die, the spring coils are not well defined. Note on the 3 springs the right hand side of all the coils is high so they all slope right to left.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Cramden, you can use Meguiar's cleaner wax on the car roofs. If that is not quite good then use the Step 1 swirl remover followed by the cleaner wax. Do not go anywhere near the paint or lettering. Problem with using it on the sides is the part that was polished will be visible compared to the part by the lettering that was not.
Thanks Tom. Maybe I'll leave them alone. It was so long ago when I bought these that I might have been less fussy about them, or it was my before glasses days, and couldn't see what the heck I was buying! The worst of the bunch is the 651 baggage car and that has marks all over both sides. That one would be the one to experiment on if I decide to try it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tom and cramden you guys got some very nice passenger cars there. Makes me not want to post my green 950 series cars since they are runners on the layout and don't look as nice as yours. On the other hand mine suit me fine on the layout behind a 302 or 312.
Regarding what to use on the tops of those cars, I have used automotive plastic headlight scratch remover and polisher on mine.

Kenny

·
Registered
825 Posts
Okay I guess I will post my green passenger cars. Not as nice as Tom and cramden's but then they do fit into the theme of my layout which is the look of daily use rolling stock. Always looking for others at shows. Maybe some day I will find others. Like everybody else I got the "wants".

Kenny

Heavyweight 003.jpg

baggage cars 014.jpg

NH passsenger cars 009.jpg

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,036
Nice passenger cars, red and green. None here yet, but I am watching.
I got my Frontier passenger cars, 3 of them, in the mail yesterday. They
are as nice as seller described. Happy with them, and will post pics when I get a chance.
They are actually pretty nice cars. No lights but that is fine with me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I kinda liked the fact that those cars are not lighted considering the era they represent. I have been thinking of a way to put those flickering bulbs into those cars to represent gas lighting like they could have had back then. Can't seem to find a small enough bulb to fit a Flyer sockets. This time of year with all the Christmas stuff out I might find some.

Kenny

·
Registered
825 Posts
As a change of pace, I thought I would post these pictures for my photo of the day contribution. The control panels are a back up to my TMCC Cab 1 handheld controller or when I want to do things the old fashion way.

Kenny

Yard 034.jpg

Yard 036.jpg

Yard 039.jpg

Yard 042.jpg

Yard controls 132.jpg

Yard controls133.jpg

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Wow! Lots or nice pictures here this morning.
Kenny, you say the Gilbert controls are a backup to the TMCC Cab1 handheld. Does that mean you are using ASC2's controlled from the Cab1 to operate the uncouplers and turnouts? If so then the color bulb lit in the turnout controller will not always match the position of the points. The wiring looks really good.

1021 - 1040 of 2475 Posts