Model Train Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 2484 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If the streetlights are dark green, metal, with a nylon globe and look like this they were made by S&S in Pittsburgh. I have a bunch of them in OB’s. If I find an OB tomorrow I will post it.

View attachment 515860
Interesting light, don't recall hearing about them. Are they similar in height to Gilbert's and were they a nationally sold item? Did they make other train items and other toys? Lots of questions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
They are the same size as the Gilbert street lights.I am not sure how widely distributed these light were. They show up from time at train shows. Most people incorrectly attribute them to Marx. Having some NIB helps tell their history.
My dad bought four of these lights in December of 1949 at a five and ten in Mt. Oliver (Pittsburgh.) Three of them are visible in this picture of my 1955 Christmas layout.

0B5755BB-9313-448B-A5C2-EF1517DA8937.jpg

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Ok, I found the streetlights in the OB’s. Here is a picture that shows all sides of the OB for these streetlights.
They are the No. 430 made by H&H Sales in Pittsburgh, Pa.

3F529BF5-EAA3-4182-ABD3-9BC54057B75C.jpg

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Here's a 5 digit track cleaning car. It comes with the box..New felt pads were never ran, and the car itself has never been ran. It is new in the box, but the canisters have some black garbage on them. It would rate mint except for those goober marks. If anyone wants it, $25 bucks plus. 001.JPG

002.JPG

·
Registered
839 Posts
If the streetlights are dark green, metal, with a nylon globe and look like this they were made by H&H in Pittsburgh. I have a bunch of them in OB’s. If I find an OB tomorrow I will post it.

View attachment 515860
That street light looks like the ones I have. So what is this Wabash reefer I have then? I just thought the previous owner had done a one off of his own. Now I am wondering. I'll check that "myflyertrains.org. Thanks for the information. I got the lights at a train show. Since the guy was selling AF stuff I thought he knew what they were but he didn't know so I got them for next to nothing. $5.00!

Kenny

·
Registered
839 Posts
They are the same size as the Gilbert street lights.I am not sure how widely distributed these light were. They show up from time at train shows. Most people incorrectly attribute them to Marx. Having some NIB helps tell their history.
My dad bought four of these lights in December of 1949 at a five and ten in Mt. Oliver (Pittsburgh.) Three of them are visible in this picture of my 1955 Christmas layout.

View attachment 515864
Tom, looking at that black and white photo, it looks like you got a pretty good start on your American Flyer collecting with a nice train set and all those those accessories not to mention 715 with a solid color Manoil coupe.

Kenny

·
Registered
92 Posts
Repaints

I came accross these recently and thought they were quite well done (better than anything I could attempt). Originally the shells were painted the standard green painted over black plastic with the exception of the Express which was painted over white (see below). The Express and one Coach have diecast frames while the other is sheet metal and all converted to KC's. Best guess is that the Coaches are 650"s (the diecast earlier) and the Express early 651. Both Coaches have one insulated truck (the diecast still has its wiring) so only light sockets required.

The GP-7 is one motor with PulMor and standard E-unit but no horn, roar or date stamp on the shell. The correct number is probably under the stickers but I doubt I'll bother trying to peel one off to look. It runs well and all just require a light cleaning.

The picture of a real car or similar was probably used for the paint scheme. Note that the purple is not mottled as appears in the pictures. Just thought you might find it interesting. J.B.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Someone did a really nice job creating that CP passenger train.
Those two freight cars look to be in perfect condition. Does the 970 have brass wheels or is it just the lighting?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Kenny, I think your Wabash reefer is most likely home made. It is still good to be familiar with Kris and Hobby Surplus who used surplus Gilbert shells to make road names not done by Gilbert. These cars rarely appear on vendor tables at shows.
When the picture was taken in 1955 the 716 automatic dump car was not on the layout. I still have everything with the OB’s.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
While looking for the streetlights in the OB’s that I posted yesterday I found some other items that might be of interest. Here is one, it is the rarest of the link coupler passenger cars, the satin silver 503 observation. This one is in LN condition. These were sold only in 1952 uncataloged set #434. The 434 is a rare set. I have the pieces that make up the set but no OB’s.

9D5D2E33-14BF-48E8-878D-197F38D94712.jpg

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
Sweet passenger car and have not seen one on ebay. it seems that usually the observation cars
are not the rarest in a set. Nice car. In fact I don't remember seeing any 500 series cars.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice C.P. passenger set Sagas. Someone did a nice job on that set.

Very nice boxcars asidlikjr. I like the Walking Brakemen cars, though my Seaboard is noisier than my Cookie Box.

Tom, that's just plain stunning. Now I've seen 3 of these. Yours, your friends in the set book, and a picture of a boxed set that was on an auction site that if I remember went for close to $3,000.00. I think most wouldn't mind if the set box was missing in order to have the 4 car set. You have some really unbelievable items. Here's a picture of the set at auction, and no, I didn't bid, just watched.

170157_1.JPG

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Nice looking 434 set, the boxes are there but rough. It would easily bring $2,500.
The 500, 501 & 502 were made in chrome and one of them frequently appeared in a 405 Silver Streak set. Not so the 503, that is why it is so rare.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Tom I went to the "myflyertrains.org" site, looked under "kris" and saw cars I have never seen before. Of course my Wabash isn't there. Thanks for that reference. I book marked it so I can use that as a reference. Just for fun I checked eBay to see if any were there. Nope, not a one. I really wasn't surprised. Something else to look for at train shows.
As to my Wabash reefer, I have thought all along that was a custom or homemade car, especially since there are no reporting marks on it.

I've never seen any of those 500 series coaches in real life. All are shown in Doyle's American Flyer book with the pricing. No wonder I've never seen any at a train show! You would need a locked glass case and an armed guard considering the price values shown! Your observation car looks like a new one. Very nice.
Doyle lists the scarcity number for all of the satin cars as "8" but chrome ones at "7". Doyle claims that only the 500 combine and 502 Vista Dome were chrome while all the whole 500 series coaches were satin. One thing for certain, the satin cars are way more costly!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
All the 500 series passenger cars were uncataloged and not offered for separate sale. The satin silver coaches were only used as part of a rare uncataloged set. The chrome 500 cars were randomly packaged in a high volume cataloged set as a substitution for the 600 series car that was supposed to be there. A lot more chrome 500, 501 and 502 cars were made than satin silver. I guess the pricing is supply and demand.
The situation with 900 series cars is the opposite. All the cars made were cataloged. Far fewer chrome cars were made than silver. Plus the chrome 900 series cars seem to rarely be in excellent condition. So in the 900 knuckle coupler passenger sets good chrome cars are much harder to find.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,160
Nice cars.
I have a nice 648. It also has the bracket that holds the pads missing. I am ok with
that. I am not a fan of cleaner cars. LOL, mine is not a cleaner car any more. I am going
to put it in my work train. Work train will have the service car, a crane car, a gondola with
gravel, a gondola loaded with track rails and ties, and a work caboose.

1141 - 1160 of 2484 Posts