Model Train Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,184
I have a few of both those cars. Let me ask something. Did AF make a 940 hopper?
Like that 640. But with knuckle coupler.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yes, but remember Gilbert assigned the 640 number to two different cars. In 1953 the Wabash hopper appeared, it was numbered 640. So there are 940 k/c hoppers but they are Wabash lettered.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice looking 336 mopac. Too bad the weather isn't like when your picture was taken. Lots of sun, and trees full of greenery.

Nice 678 Tom. You don't see many single switches with their box. The stamped letters are very sharp.

Nice hoppers asidlikjr.

Mopac, here's a picture of a 940 Wabash with my homemade coal load. Empty hoppers don't make any money for the railroad. I had forgotten that I made it from HO coal and a piece of foam cut to fit.
IMG_0158.JPG

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188
Nice coal load cramden. I hope to load up all my hoppers.
I meant the gray hopper as far as 940. Pretty sure I have some
Wabash hoppers. Of coarse not as nice as yours cramden.

Tom, have some dual control turnouts, No singles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 21099

It was part of the "Meteor" set from 58' and has whistle. At one time I had the complete set (20435) but all thats left is the engine, Mobilegas tanker, transformer, and set box. All trains were stored at my mothers house for many years and I suspect she did some sort of cleanout since there were other items missing as well. Pity. J.B.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It was part of the "Meteor" set from 58' and has whistle. At one time I had the complete set (20435) but all thats left is the engine, Mobilegas tanker, transformer, and set box. All trains were stored at my mothers house for many years and I suspect she did some sort of cleanout since there were other items missing as well. Pity. J.B.
Very nice and hard to find. At least you have the set box. All you need is the 24216 UP hopper, 24419 CN box car and the 977 action caboose to complete the set. I think I'd look again if possible for the missing items. Some of these sets came with the extremely rare 25031 action caboose. One was on ebay a few years ago and the asking price was $10,000.00 and it wasn't in the best condition. It didn't sell, but wouldn't be surprised if it was sold after the auction ended from someone who saw it on ebay. I have only seen 2 of these, both in photos, not in person.

·
Registered
628 Posts
View attachment 502882

This is my first AF locomotive. Got it used in 1955. It is a 1952 model. Runs great Being from when I was a kid I am fond of it.
Oh, its a 282, plastic body Pacific. I need to resolder wires from tender to engine plug. Since this pic I have installed a new harness.
Same thing here, the 4-8-2, same years, just before I went to HO.
My father, who didn't care much for trains, must have thrown it away when we moved into Manhattan in 1963..

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,200
2 of my favorite cars. Both in good condition. One has some age
lines in the brown roof paint. Only car I have with age cracks.

IMG_0639.JPG

1181 - 1200 of 2475 Posts