Model Train Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 2484 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Received my revit tool for the sold shouldet from portline hobby works nice also received the 322 tender with smoke in tender. Just needs a good cleaning. Al

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here is another accessory that was packed with some sets, mostly uncatalogued sets. It is not rare but not many show up at train shows unused in the original box.

View attachment 518500

View attachment 518502
Since I have been "off the air" so to speak for a few days due to Christmas activities, I just saw this post from AmFlyer. My first American Flyer set I got for Christmas in 1954 included this same cardboard trestle set.
To the best of my recollection, I remember this trestle set and the 303 engine, IC reefer, gondola, and caboose train set as being in one box which my dad bought from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Knowing my dad, he wouldn't have bought 2 separate boxes since that would have constituted 2 gifts. Each kid got only one present. I just remember the set box being a big box. Being from Sears & Roebuck, I have never seen a set box like that one leading me to believe that, as with a lot of other stores' sets sold at the time, this set was uncatalogued. I have never seen this set in any publication to get a set number.
My dad had set it up for Christmas morning in a figure 8 configuration. I have a photo showing part of the set up, though not the whole figure 8, since the photo was of my sister. My train and trestle set are partially in the photo. Somewhere I have a photo of the whole thing but have yet to find it. That photo shows the whole figure 8 set up with engine number. Naturally I put it where I couldn't forget where it is. ???

Kenny

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Kenny, now that you brought it up you have to find the photo! At the moment I am freezing in Baltimore, when I get home I will get you the set number for your 303.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,267
I don't know about the tender is for DC, but it does look like it is for an engine with reverse unit in boiler. The tender might not have a reverse unit in it.
If tender does not work for you, it would make a nice auxiliary tender.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,268
And then again, it might be a 5 digit engine tender. Is there only 2 wires coming out?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
There are no DC Hudsons so the tender is for an AC set. It looks like a smoke fill hatch on the tender coal pile so it is likely from a SIT or possibly a 320 that had no smoke or choo choo. It is in nice condition.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As Tom stated, it's a S.I.T. likely from 1948. It appears to have a brass weight. Notice the lever out of the bottom of the tender, that's the on/off lever for the smoke in tender unit. Hard to tell from the picture,but if the center of the trucks have wheel sets, that would be common for early 320,321,322 tenders. On a side note, both the 21129 and 21130 Hudsons had plastic tenders.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I guess I haven't recovered completely from my mishap from last week.. I should have said the tender was for a reverse unit in boiler.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Its for a 322 hudson which i got the engine for 5.00 which iam restoring the orignal tender was empty someone had a tender with smoke in tender no shell they wanted 80.00 for it to much. So i bid on this one paid 50.00 it is not dc. The 662 i bought i didnt read it well it says power supply d.c..

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,273
Thanks for info cramden on plastic 5 digit tenders. I don't have any 5 digit engines
but should have known about the plastic tenders. That tender does look like it has
a fller cap on top. I don't have any smoke in tenders either. All by design, LOL.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Got this in the mail yesterday. A 700 box of 12 straight track.
Track in great condition. I am not a cardboard collector. The
OB is not that big of a deal to me. But this box is very nice.
All flaps are nice. The best part is it was 1.99 on ebay. 9 ship.
I don't know yet if I needed more track but at that price I had to go.

View attachment 518680

View attachment 518682
That's the best argument for not worrying about rusted track, if you have patience, there's lots of it available cheap. Great price on the track mopac.

·
Registered
92 Posts
K5346W

I acquired this set in the summer of this year. It is complete with a few extras; the 905 log car and 760 Highway Flasher. They are not part of the original set so either bought separately or throw-ins from the dealer. It appears as if it was run very little and some packages unopened. Price on the carton is $79.95 but I didn't pay that for it unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great looking set Sagas. Everything looks to be in excellent or better condition. Nice to find a set that looks to be complete, and 2 bonus items aren't bad either!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Great looking K5 set.
Kenny, I spent some time looking for your set. there is no documented set from 1954 that matches the contents of your set. There is one that is almost identical made in 1955, the 103. The 103 contains the 923 IC reefer, the 931 T&P gondola, a 940 Wabash hopper, a 938 caboose, enough track for a figure 8, a manual uncoupler, a 1 1/2 transformer and the 747 cardboard trestle set. Problem is it is documented with a 307 engine. It is possible a few were made with a 303 but w/o the 4th car.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
When I got back home from my trip to the frigid east coast there was a Lionel box with three new items waiting for me. So Christmas might be early this year.
First picture is the new U36 Legacy diesel with a complimentary Santa Fe caboose. I think I have mentioned I like red cabooses. The second picture is a new Legacy SD70. I already have a UP caboose.
They need to be lubed and then programmed into the Legacy base before I run them. Already added smoke fluid to get the wicks well soaked.
There are 5 Gilbert freight cars visible in the background that are sitting in the freight yard.

F8CE044C-B878-4B19-860D-2BD25E2AD408.jpg

281B98AA-DE9B-48A9-9A91-953DDDC37532.jpg

1261 - 1280 of 2484 Posts