Model Train Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 2484 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
What is the best way to clean aluminum and like to remove dome but really dont see how anyone tooke one apart if someone . thanks al

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well, your concerns about the 662 were unfounded. Time to get polishing, it should clean up nicely.

Great looking Christmas gifts Tom. It seems Christmas is coming early for a few of us. After finding out my 48 322 Was actually a 50 engine with a 48 tender, I thought I should find a correct one. I did, and this showed up today. It's a 1948 322 with the box and the cardboard insert in L/N condition. It had to thaw out for a while but runs and smokes like new.

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,283
Nice dome passenger car. flyernut has taken those apart and made them look like
new. Maybe he will throw some tips your way.

Tom, nice new engines. I love UP locomotves. I have many HO UPs.

Cramden, WOW !!! what a nice Hudson. Congrats. It looks great.

Congrats to all 3 of you guys. Nice additions.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Great looking K5 set.
Kenny, I spent some time looking for your set. there is no documented set from 1954 that matches the contents of your set. There is one that is almost identical made in 1955, the 103. The 103 contains the 923 IC reefer, the 931 T&P gondola, a 940 Wabash hopper, a 938 caboose, enough track for a figure 8, a manual uncoupler, a 1 1/2 transformer and the 747 cardboard trestle set. Problem is it is documented with a 307 engine. It is possible a few were made with a 303 but w/o the 4th car.
Tom I have searched for that set number many times with no luck. Since I knew it came from the Sears & Roebuck catalog I surmised it was an uncataloged set as Sears, Montgomery Wards, and some Firestone Tire stores had American Flyer sets displayed for sale. I mentioned the Firestone Tire stores because I can remember going with my dad to one where he bought all of his truck, car, and tractor tires from and every year at Christmas time there would be an American Flyer train display. Of course I had no interest in tires but sure would set and look at those trains!

Kenny

·
Registered
839 Posts
Cramden nice 322 and with the clear box printing. Very good. Though I am not much of a box collector, I still admire nice ones that people seem to come up with.

Kenny

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dome Car

What is the best way to clean aluminum and like to remove dome but really dont see how anyone tooke one apart if someone . thanks al
It's Al?? Thanks, All??
Keeping my reply short, and judging by the picture shown, I would leave the dome alone. I would get the smallest container of Mother's aluminum polish(Walmart?) and a soft cloth and polish away.(being careful of the silhouettes) Check your bulb for operation, clean your pick up wheels thoroughly, a drop of lube on the axles and call it a day. I purchased an aluminum set a few years ago that needed a lot of love. That was replacing parts, cleaning, etc. If you decide to take that car apart, I can post how I did it. By posting what I did instead of a PM, you could certainly get better suggestions/methods over and above what I did.

Fred

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Kenny, I was able to see the picture. Many of the cardboard support piers are visible.
I have a book published in 1996 that has copies of all the Sears toy train Wish Book pages from 1950 through 1967. There are no Gilbert train sets in the Wish Book in 1954. That does not mean none were sold in stores, just that one more source of Sears train history does not help.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Tom I'm glad you at least got see that photo and the trestles shown. As to that book you have listing all Gilbert trains sold by Sears, I am surprised no Gilbert trains are listed. You have managed to destroy a memory I have had all my life, such as it was, lol.
I am, however, certain that the local Sears & Roebuck here back then did have American Flyer trains displayed. Their Christmas toy department display was always pretty elaborate. Then maybe the store sold their own made up sets? I have contacted my brother 2 years younger than me and a cousin who both confirm that that Sears store did indeed sell American Flyer trains along with Lionel. My cousin got a Lionel train set from there the same year as I got my American Flyer set. He still has it today, packed away.
Must have been a local thing maybe?

Kenny

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I can also verify that Sears sold AF trains. As a kid, I remember going to Sears with Mom and Dad, and hustling my butt over to the toy section to see the wall at one section filled with AF trains!!The whole wall had various locos, cars, and accessories. There was also a department store at the local shopping center called "Edwards" which sold clothes, furniture, and nick-nacks. They also had a toy section with Lionel and AF trains. There they had the elusive MP set, sold in 1963-64, #20767, the Eagle..My buddy grabbed it and walked out of the store with it, and he gave it to me as a present!!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
One of my childhood friends received an AF set in the early 70's from Sears. I think that's the only department store that was around where we lived back then.

·
Registered
183 Posts
X-mas 1957 I was 5 yrs old. When I awoke 'Santa' had set up a AF train set around the tree. #20305 the 'Flying Freighter'. I've often wondered how many miles its logged since then.
Back in those days my folks bought everything from Sears. It's likely that that set came from Sears but I have no way of telling. I don't remember the boxes. I've been looking at old family pictures, I know there is one around and I'd dearly like to find it.
Of everything I've ever gotten for X-mas this was the best.
I'm hoping our 80 lb puppy leaves it alone once I set it up very soon.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Sears sold a variety of American Flyer sets. Unfortunately with only a few exceptions they were not included in the Sears Wish Book. That eliminates one way to document the contents of uncataloged sets made for Sears. Another way to document those sets is vintage advertising. The only ads I have copies of are those run by Gilbert. If anyone has ads run by Sears, or other retail outlets that might show these sets.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I remember well those 'Wish Books' from Sears. Aptly named.
Mom has a couple of them saved, but they are from the 60's.
It's just a shot in the dark. I knew you would know all about the history.

1281 - 1300 of 2484 Posts