Model Train Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 2643 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,302
Got this nice 636 in the mail Friday. 10.00 plus shipping.
Wheels show very little run time. My third one.

IMG_0682.JPG

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have all those sets..I also had the Flying Freighter set as a kid, and I believe Dad bought it at Sears... Dad sold all the trains, but I have 3 sets of the Flying Freighter now.
You have more AF stuff then I've ever seen before.
How many complete Train sets do you have now?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You have more AF stuff then I've ever seen before.
How many complete Train sets do you have now?
At one point, I think I had around 30 complete sets, no set boxes, but quite a few individual boxes.. Of course that doesn't included duplicates and triplicates... I have problems,lol!

·
Registered
93 Posts
K5423T

The 1954 "Mountaineer" set. A set that was never run. Probably given as a gift at the time. Opened, looked at, packed back up and never touched again. Locomotive wrapping, transformer and all paperwork in the carton. This is one of the two other rare times (for me anyway) when I've come across a separate inspection slip for the whole set. Most were probably thrown away but instructions kept. Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nice set, so rare to find one that has not been run. Two questions if you don't mind. were any of the cars packed with cardboard coupler protectors, if so are they square or round? Is there a wood block packed between the engine and tender?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tom, there are no protectors or wood block. Most likely discarded when unpacked to view the set. All wheels are shiny with no rail marks or imperfections. My first set (5301T) I received at Xmas had a block and round tubes to protect the links from hitting the end of the boxes but, of course, were discarded. The previous set I posted had a few square ones for the KC's but not on all cars and again no wood block. Some later cars given to me to add to sets did have some but not all. As you know, when they changed to the red boxes they added a flap at either end to hold the cars in place and protect the couplers. My "Pathfinder" set (20545) has those. Barry

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Thanks for the response. Some of the cars in my original 1950 and 1952 sets had the round protectors. Some of the cars were also wrapped in a yellowish beige paper inside the box.
The red boxes also brought the exact fit box size for boxcars. The trucks were just turned to put the couplers under the chassis.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tom, I have not come across any paper wrapped cars. My first 53' set was packed the usual way with stamped corrugate for the engine, the blue / yellow boxes for the cars and for the 12 sections of curved track, however the paper that you mentioned I have found used to wrap the number of sections of straight track for sets with various sizes of oval layouts. I assume you have a number of mint unused sets of which I have only a few so you would be the best expert in that area. Barry

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great looking set Sagas. I have the same 1953 link coupler set without the set box. I have a complete boxed set, #5525TBW that the cars in the boxes were wrapped in brown paper along with the rectangular cardboard coupler protectors and the wood block for the engine. It's the only set I have that came that way. It didn't have an inspectors slip with it. It's possible the paper was to protect the cars from paint rubs while in the boxes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The 1954 "Mountaineer" set. A set that was never run. Probably given as a gift at the time. Opened, looked at, packed back up and never touched again. Locomotive wrapping, transformer and all paperwork in the carton. This is one of the two other rare times (for me anyway) when I've come across a separate inspection slip for the whole set. Most were probably thrown away but instructions kept. Barry
Nice set especially since it was never run. As Tom said, finding a set that has never been run is very rare.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
On the subject of never run sets, I have a total of 29 boxed Gilbert sets. Of those, two have never been run. One was the 20000 Miners work train set I already posted pictures of and one is set 4730A made in 1949. I purchased this set from Dennis Bagby, it is one of the sets photographed for the Volume III Sets book. I have several sets that appear new but the wheels show they have been run. An unused set is rare.
Dennis purchased many sets from the collection of Glady's Trains in SD in the early 2000's which were never run. I had a chance to see them at his home in Altadena after the book was published. I just purchased one of them as a memento. He sold them all to collectors after the book publication.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Many years ago I encountered a man who said he collected and had a few pieces for sale. When we went into his basement I could not believe what I saw. In one room nothing but unopened sets, floor to ceiling and not just one of each but three or five of the same set going from the late 40's until the 60's. Another room contained accessories and again duplicates, triplicates and more, all new and unopened. Another contained rolling stock, all shelved and unopened. Finally, the last room contained anything Gilbert (Erector, Chemistry, Magic sets, Slot Car sets, Appliances, HO). If you could name it he had it.

He told me had started collecting when he was very young but a significant amount he collected was at the end of the 50's and early 60's when trains were dropping in popularity and a lot of hobby shops were starting to go out of business. He would offer the shops a little better than a jobber price for what they had in inventory. His collection easily covered 80% of his basement and the rest of it was his layout.

When he passed away the collection was auctioned off and apparently generated some major dollars. I have never come across anything like it since. Barry

·
Registered
766 Posts
This one of the hooby shop i go to his farther started it in 1950 he loved trains all kinds. These are some pictures i took. I wont show all of them to many there are alot more that i didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
We all should be so lucky as to live near such a hobby/train shop. Only thing I see wrong is that looking up at all those trains could give a person a neck problem!

Kenny

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,320
Cool train store. Looks like a museum. Thanks for the pics.
That 310 does look in great condition. Nice paint and handrails. What else counts.
I really love the K5s. You have a nice train room.

1301 - 1320 of 2643 Posts