Model Train Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 2484 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I am currently out of new pictures of interesting Gilbert items. But I spent time running trains today and took a couple of pictures I could post. This is an Erie Berkshire pulling out of the yard leads onto the mainline. The Berkshire started out as a FlyerChief but was gutted and modified to run on Legacy.
I took the pictures just after sunset with no room lighting on, resulting in a long exposure time. That is why the layout is in focus but the motion of the engine caused it to be slightly blurred.

B9308745-4670-4B97-B6FC-CF6ADD6601F2.jpg

CFFEDFA3-19D1-4CCE-B493-71C18604C601.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Very nice Tom. No, not very nice but excellent!!

Maybe if were to get some of Alice in wonderland" cookies, we could go for a ride.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This the 310 i bought from that hobby shop. Paid a little bit moore but in good shape.
Nice 310. Paying a little more for an engine that is great looking and runs well is sometimes a good idea. Just so long as it isn't a whole lot more. By the way, nice looking shelving with all your trains displayed. Looks like you have some very nice stuff.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
One final picture post for the year, and the decade. I took this as a demonstration of the pulling capability of the new FlyerChief GP7 diesels. The UP version is pulling a 20 car mixed freight up a 2.25% grade. The cars to the rear are Gilbert, the ones to the front are mostly Lionel Flyer. This is not a free rolling train as it would be if the cars were all AM or MTH.

2E3F333C-0D27-440E-A5BD-F9F119B488C8.jpg

·
Registered
890 Posts
Technically, there is 1 more year in this decade, but that's an argument for another forum. :)

Great layout. I've never been one to care about scenery pictures on the wall, but your's looks great. Gives great depth to the scene. Very nice.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Thanks Tom. The backdrop was hand painted by an artist on separate panels that attach to the back of the layout structure. It is on 3 sides of the layout and since the top is above eye level it feels like one is totally immersed in the scene.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great looking 310 asidlikjr. It doesn't appear to have been used much. Glad I don't have a hobby shop like that nearby, could get too costly. Stuff has a way of following me home.:rolleyes:

Excellent pictures and trains Tom. I missed the Christmas train, do you collect them all, or just randomly. I started to collect the box cars with the year dates, but sold them along with my other Flyonel items. I have to take some pictures now that the holidays are wrapping up. I also got tired of my track plan so I'm playing around with a few new ideas and running some trains to see if I like the plans.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Cramden, I have all the Christmas boxcars and some of the other style Christmas cars.
I am curious what you are doing with the track plan.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tom, that makes two of us. I get bored with the plans I come up with and have been looking at various plans online. At the moment, I have this basic track plan set up. I like the look of this since it's not too crowded.http://www.americanflyerdisplays.org/factory_layouts/factory_layout_images/inside_front_cover_mrhb.jpg

That could all change on a whim because I never seem to be satisfied, but at some point I have to decide or nothing will get done. I would like a few sidings for various accessories and their cars, but everything takes up space and eventually I overcrowd the layout. I will hopefully find the balance or will end up back to where I started from.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
That is a 90"x80" track plan. It has 3 loops, none interconnecting. There is only one passing track and one siding. I prefer a lot more complexity in my track plans. To get that and enough sidings I have always settled for two interconnected loops for train running. Adding a 3rd loop at that layout size caused too many other compromises.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's actually 96"x72"or 8'x7' according to the site. I added 6" to the 6' side so I have 96'x78" to work with. I have laid out the plan with the least amount of cuts in the track possible and it seems to be okay running trains. I can place 4 trains on the layout like before with the 2 loop plan I had but can run 3 instead of 2. The 2 other factory layouts that are 8x6 all have 3 trains running. I'm not sure what I'll end up with but right now I'm just exploring options. Elevated sections and tunnels also take up real estate so that's a consideration too. I might end up back with the 2 loops with passing sidings that I started with.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Wow, the last post here was on New Year’s Day. I have no special Gilbert items today but since I was running the 4014 BigBoy this morning I took a few shots to post here. The 4014 was the first Legacy engine Lionel sold for S gauge, it is a fantastic runner.
The first picture is heading west on Line 1 just after departure from the hidden staging yard. The second is exiting a reverse loop and rejoining Line 1 after running the layout. The third picture is eastbound on Line 1 heading back to the hidden staging yard.

46ED814D-9940-4FAD-BEAB-FF651828C232.jpg

80204013-7C14-4526-BFE5-1B8FE1C2682F.jpg

A934C6B0-FCCD-407E-87F3-3C8CD31235D7.jpg

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Flyernut, that is great. I think everyone needs a BigBoy. The one I have that Lionel made for S gauge started out as a K-Line O gauge engine. It was undersize at about 1/60th scale. After Lionel bought K-Line it was released as an S gauge engine but inside it is all O gauge.
Here is one more picture of 4014 crossing the diamond. The engine right behind it is a Lionel Flyer Berkshire.

C447C902-0280-49E3-BA22-7CEB49110D44.jpg

1321 - 1340 of 2484 Posts