Model Train Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 2657 Posts

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Flyernut, that is great. I think everyone needs a BigBoy. The one I have that Lionel made for S gauge started out as a K-Line O gauge engine. It was undersize at about 1/60th scale. After Lionel bought K-Line it was released as an S gauge engine but inside it is all O gauge.
Here is one more picture of 4014 crossing the diamond. The engine right behind it is a Lionel Flyer Berkshire.

View attachment 521766
Beautiful set up buddy.. I also have a K-Line Allegheny engine in O gauge.. My son and d-i-l finally bought a house and moved out, and I went through some of the crates of boxes I have stored. I probably have around a dozen hoppers of various road names for the Big Boy and Allegheny. As soon as I get my closet organized I'll throw some pictures up...

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,342
Somehow I ended up with 3 HO Big Boys. I like steam engines.
4005, 4007, and 4014. They all run very smooth.

Great pics Tom.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Very nice going to a show the last weekend of the month desil on my list any advice on decent one to get and to to look for not familiar with desiels dont have one any advice would be helpful thanks al

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Love those Alcos, especially PAs and RSs.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks guys, I do have a soft spot for Warbonnet PA's. Tom, great looking Pennsy PA's that you posted. Al, as far as buying diesels, my preference is to buy the best condition possible. I.M.O. the better the condition, the better your chances of getting a problem free one. The other thing is to try and get a dual motor PA vs. a single motor one, unless the condition is better than average. The GP7's are generally good runners, but be sure if you buy a Baldwin switcher that it runs good before purchasing it since they seem to be prone to overheating. If you can't see it run or the seller says he can't test it, pass on it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,349
I don't have an original AF diesel. So no idea on a good price for one.

WOW cramden, that PA set looks great. Nice condition.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Flyernut, that is great. I think everyone needs a BigBoy. The one I have that Lionel made for S gauge started out as a K-Line O gauge engine. It was undersize at about 1/60th scale. After Lionel bought K-Line it was released as an S gauge engine but inside it is all O gauge.
Here is one more picture of 4014 crossing the diamond. The engine right behind it is a Lionel Flyer Berkshire.

View attachment 521766
Very nice Tom! The more I see those Big Boys the more I want one. Maybe....

Kenny

·
Registered
961 Posts
Great looking Warbonnet set cramden. Having been through my share of those chrome PA's, I concur that buying a better chrome set is the way to go. Yes it will cost a little more but then really nice ones with all the chrome are very hard to find and, as we all know, are priced accordingly. I do like those chrome PA's though.
Think I will stick to heavyweights and the New Havens. I got plenty of 302's and 312's or whatever else I choose to head those passenger coaches.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
This thread has fallen far down the list. I have not had a chance to dig into the collection recently to find more interesting items. Just to keep the thread alive here are two pictures of one of my PRR Mikado’s pulling a freight in the late afternoon.

D8484584-856F-4373-A923-BBB55E288122.jpg

80C289DF-4CDB-4B0C-988E-9875FE0BF1AF.jpg

·
Registered
767 Posts
This is the 322 i did over the tender i did not repaint looked good to me that is the hudson with the sit i hve the rub on 322 havent put it on yet. The other one is the 290 the tender i bought ans repaint and replace fingers. 290 isthe one i had trouble with came redid everything and running pretty good cant explain it i have to replace the white rims .

1341 - 1360 of 2657 Posts