Model Train Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2169 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Woah! We need pictures of the Erector set, What number is it? I had a 1955 7 1/2 Engineers set but it is long gone.
Tom as I said, that erector set is in a box. It is not in an Erector set box therefore there is no number. I will get pictures of it. I didn't have time tonight. Also have to find that slot car track set. No pressure.
Bad memory and too much stuff are a bad combination. At least in my case.

Kenny

·
Registered
673 Posts
Kenny, I had an erector set when I was a little guy. I remember playing with it,
but I have no idea what happened to it. I do not have a bolt or a nut from it. I
had one of those moms that threw things away if I did not use it this morning.
I am surprised I hung on to my 282 and a few cars.
I had one of the larger Erector sets when I was a kid but have no idea what happened to it. My dad was good for throwing things out that he deemed useless. If my stuff wasn't in my room but was found laying some where else, I got one warning. If it wasn't picked up, it was gone. Luckily my American Flyer train set was nailed to a piece of 3/4" plywood and laid on my brother's and mine large bedroom floor so that never was moved. I do remember having some Buddy L, Structo, and Tonka trucks that were left out side and not picked up and disappeared. Wish I had those today! Valuable for sure although likely I would sell them for train money now.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,964
Kenny, I had some large trucks also. Big enough for me to ride on. I do not remember what brands they were. They disappeared. No idea what happened to them. I had a couple of semis. My favorite was a red cab and a blue trailer. They are worth some bucks today. I had 2 peddle cars. I really do not remember them but I have seen pics. I do have 2 other items. I have a very small rocking chair. I would say kids over 2 years old would not fit. I
also still have a Davey Crockett wood toy box. Its in very good shape. I remember the toy box being fllled. Its empty now. Where did those toys go? I guess I was a Davey Crockett fan. I had the Davey Crocket clothes. Leather fringe shirt , pants, and of coarse the coon skin hat. And I would think a rifle.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,965
Another thing I played with a lot was a Kenner panel and girder Hydro Dynamic set. The set had 2 motorized pumps. Seems I remember it in my house but I do not think I still have it. May have sold at a garage sale. 2 pages of them on ebay. LOL, I sold mine way too cheap.
I think we had neater toys than kids today have. Damn, my Lincoln Logs are gone also.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also had an Erector set from the 50's, a birthday present long ago. I was hoping it might turn up while cleaning out Mom's house.No luck.
My introduction to tools.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I had a Kenner Girder and Panel set and a Bridge set. Never had one of those Hydro Dynamic sets. All are long gone as is the Erector set. After some temptation I have made a firm decision not to reacqure any of those items.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Pictured below is the 48354 2004 Southern Pacific boxcar. It is not a convention car but is is nicely painted and lettered. Note the truck side frames are brown and be sure to look at the fine lettering on the door. It says “Equipped to control insect infestation.”
All these cars are being unboxed for the first time, photographed and then put in service on the layout.

C53542B2-729D-4BE9-94C1-587B2597DB3F.jpeg
AC6493CF-8A36-4EAE-8313-2F205ADF2AFD.jpeg

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I had a Buddy L pressed steel dump truck, and I used to ride it daily when I was young. It was my Dad's when he was a little boy, then I got it, and just 2 months ago, I gave it to my daughter for her two boys, my grandsons'.. I also have my Dad's standard gauge passenger set with all boxes from 1927, and a rare Mickey Mouse movie projector with various movies, including Felix the Cat, Betty Boop, etc.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,971
Tom, great looking boxcar. I like the SP road. Uncommon for Lionel to paint the trucks.

Its cool some of us have some toys from our youth or at least we brought back some memories.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yes, nice and easy!
I have used Photo Gallery for years. Makes some of my so so pictures better for sure since I tend to take some pretty poor picture at times with my cell camera. I am thnking about going back to my digital Nikon since there is no difference in downloading to the Picture Gallery.

Kenny

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great looking SP box car Tom. Like mopac, I like the SP. It used to run close to me for years. I mile away to be exact. When the Union Pacific and the SP merged, you would still see SP engines, then a mixture of UP and SP engines in lash ups. Finally the newer SP engines got a repaint to UP colors. There is still a SP SD 45 and a Cotton Belt GP 38 that will run the daily local 10-12 car drop off and pick up. Besides 2 UP engines running the daily, you might see a UP and either the Cotton Belt GP 38 or the SP SD 45 hooked with the UP engine. Sometimes the Cotton Belt and the SP are together. (Shades of the past) Since I still live a mile from the tracks, plus Old Rt. 66 parallels the tracks, a road I use daily, I see that daily often in one form or another taking cars north to several towns. There is a south bound local also. There is a small yard in Bloomington, Il which is a 6 track remnant of the old GM&O then the GM&O/IC system. They keep 10 engines there. I've been there several times and have seen a main line train drop off and pick up empty's. Since most of the UP trains are 150 car container freights, there aren't many mixed freight trains that do that.
If a person wanted to model a switching layout, this would be a perfect prototype since there is a lot of switching. Plus, once the train makes the curve out of Bloomington, it is nothing but straight track for at least 80 miles so nothing complicated.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I will post a picture of my SP engine later.
Last week I did quite a bit of experimentation taking layout pictures with both my iPhone and my Nikon. For most purposes the iPhone is the best choice because it is so fast to capture the picture. The Nikon, in aperture priority mode, on a tripod, with a 2 pound piece of zoom lens glass attached can get pictures of the layout the iPhone just cannot capture. It is rare I need to do that.
I post all pictures from an iPad because I have a well organized folder system on it, I back that up to a Macbook Air and to a 4 Terabite drive. The Dell Latitude I use as my main personal computer is, for me, harder to use for picture filing and making slideshows.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Here is my SP engine from American Models. I left this one unmodified, no TMCC/Railsounds so I do not run it on the layout. The pilot is not attached to the boiler, that is why it looks a little off at the lower front of the engine.
DB6D0127-429F-4706-8468-27B9371D8988.jpeg
EBB5638F-8C34-4545-9942-BB0375A06D98.jpeg

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,976
Good looking pacific steamer Tom.
I think you need more locomotives. Just kidding.

1961 - 1980 of 2169 Posts