Model Train Forum banner

Photo of the day!!!

289K views 4K replies 61 participants last post by  AFGP9 
#1 ·
I am starting this thread in hopes that it will catch on. About 10 years ago I was a moderator for a diecast forum and I started a thread like this one and it carried on for years. This will be a thread where the members will post one pic each day when possible. We all like pics. Most of us are here every day any way.
I have noticed we have been having a lot of guests lately to the S forum. That is great. Maybe they will join so they can participate.
You have to be a member to post pics. Its easy and its free. Simple idea. Post only one pic a day here. Pics can be anything AF. Try to have only one item in pic. Pic can be locomotive, AF accessory, or a car. If you run out of stuff to show start over.
With your pic tell us a little about the item. Like where you got it, if it is working, what you need to do to it, anything. Remember, only one pic here each day. Just so the thread will last longer. I love pics and hope you do also. I will start it off with next post.

And of coarse you can post more than one comment each day. Fly/onel items can be posted.

#410 ·
This is a 781 abutment set from 1953. There are a total of 62 pieces in 3 sizes, 40 large, 14 medium, and 8 small. They are made of a ceramic material and are heavy. You can see by the numerous tape repairs to keep the box complete. My only complaint is there's no way to mount them, they depend on their weight to keep them in place, but they still move around over use. The price tag is from Strawbridge & Clothier, an east coast department store chain that is no longer in business. The price was $7.95 and says not returnable. Food

Table Games Scale model Furniture
They are easily broken or chipped if mishandled.

#411 ·
I never knew there were track locks in that set. How many are there? The set was designed for 26 track sections. I bought an MSOB 781 set back in 1/94. Never opened it. Back then I thought I would be able to have a small train store sales case in the entrance to my layout room to hold things like this. Did not work out that way.
I think they look ok, just need some velcro or 2 sided tape to keep them in place. Neat item to post, I especially like the original store price tag. $7.95 is the original catalog price, interesting Strawbridge & Clothier as a full service department store would mark it non returnable without a sales discount.

#413 · (Edited)
Mine is not a sealed 781 but the track locks were in the box when I bought it. The bag contains 16 locks, but the bag is stamped in black ink #26. So, who knows. They do work with the abutments, the tab on top of the pieces not only keep the pieces in line when stacked, but fit between the two ties at the connection which allows the clip to be installed the same way as with the trestles. Nice 620, I have some 3 spring linkers and always look for more when I can. Just to up-date the track locks. Reading an older Greenberg guide it lists 26 track locks in the bag. After looking at the bag I have , it does look like a 6 instead of a 0. I'll have to add 10 to the bag.

#412 ·
For today’s picture I have a 1953 only link coupler gondola, the 620 Southern Gondola. It retailed for $3.00 and was not included in any cataloged sets. This example has the longer 3 spring trucks. The 620’s show up once in awhile but are not common. Being white on black they were kind of plain. The 920’s are far more common as they were included in sets and not a one year only item.
The OB is in good shape with a legible stamp. It is sitting on the roof of the main passenger station on my layout.

Transport Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car

Signage Font Sign Vehicle

#414 ·
It the track lock bag is stamped 26 there should be 26 locks in it. That also matches the number of track sections the 781 set works with. I used to know a vendor who bought empty set boxes and put in all the pieces to make up the original set. The hardest item to find was a track lock bag with the correct number stamp for a given set. Seems like original sets had a lot of variety in how many track sections were included, based on the price point.

#415 ·
For Friday here are pictures of another uncommon but desirable car, the 24222 Domino Sugars covered hopper. It was added to my collection in March of 2002. This example is very hard to find since it is new in the box, never run. The slightly weak stamping visible in the D where the rivets are is how it left the factory. The OB is in near perfect condition as well. I would like it on the layout but I just cannot bring myself to run it after it has lasted 55 years in its factory new state.

Transport Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow freight car

Signage Sign Advertising Display advertising Supermarket

#419 ·
It's a rather cool and rainy day here, a perfect time for me to mount an expedition into the attic in search of a box I know that came with a red painted 631 gondola I have. I found it but the stamping has faded considerably since I bought it. Grrr... the good news is I found a 633-R box I didn't remember I had. Now to find the box car down in the main part of the house. My inventory system at its finest. I did find the painted 633, I had forgotten I bought one. Anyway, glad Tom that you posted your pics. of your boxes. It appears that the left truck was replaced on this one at some time. Here is also the painted 631. I think they are both 1952 productions. The 631 is uncatalogued. Correct me if the dates are wrong. Vehicle Scale model Transport Train Rolling stock

Transport Vehicle Restaurant

Train Scale model Vehicle Transport Rolling stock

Scale model Transport Vehicle Auto part Stadium

#420 ·
Wonder how that lettering faded, usually only sunlight will do that. The cardboard lasts "forever" if it is in a dry area. That is the best condition red painted 633 I recall seeing. The problem is most of the red ones were painted over white plastic so chips and wear marks stand out. The red T&P's are fun as well.
I seem to have the opposite problem you do Cramden. My inventory list is perfect because my wife created and maintained it. I just do not know where they are.

#421 ·
The stamping on the box as I recall was at least eligible, maybe my eyesight is the problem, or my memory, or both! The Greenberg book I have lists the red painted over gray plastic, which is what this one is, but with type "D" trucks(3 spring). The newer truck on the left has a more defined side frame, but is also a 2 spring as is the one on the right. My wife gave up on requests for me to get the trains organized long ago. As long as stuff isn't piled up all over the bedrooms she puts up with me. Besides, when I rediscover something that I had forgotten about, its like Christmas or a birthday. A win win without spending any money.

#422 ·
The red painted 633 was made in both 1951 and 1952. I know of no way to determine the year.
The link coupler Gondolas are interesting. The three most common are the unpainted and the painted green 631 T&P along with unpainted red 641. The next most common is the 641 Frisco, 1953 only. This is one of the very few times Gilbert used the same number for 2 different cars. Getting to the more rare are the 620 Southern, 1953 and the red painted uncatalogued 631 T&P, 1951 only. The most rare are the uncatalogued 1948 gray unpainted plastic 631 T&P followed by the 1951 uncatalogued 641 gray unpainted AF.
I have no gray gondolas because all the examples I saw were missing at least one step.

#427 · (Edited)
I've only seen a red or gray T&P 631 gondola in pictures and eBay. Never in person. Once upon a time I decided to try and collect every gondola variation I could find. As a result, I have found at least 5 variations of the green 631. Lettering location, font size, green color variations, painted and unpainted green to name a few. As the picture cramden posted shows, there is also a difference in the ends of these cars.
In my gondola buying frenzy back then I did bid on both a red and gray 631 on eBay but didn't like where the bidding was going. For what those 2 cars were selling for I want to see them up close and personal and in my hands. Both were over the $125 price and the auction had 3 days to go. I never did check the ending selling price. Greenberg lists the unpainted dark gray as $295 in excellent condition and the red painted one at $164 in excellent condition. As we all know everybody claims their item is in excellent condition.

There are other gondolas with pricey variations as well. One example that comes to mind is the "American Flyer" gray version that Greenberg lists at $283 in excellent condition. Nope didn't buy that one either off eBay. There are 2 red versions of the "American Flyer", painted and unpainted red which I have, and a 1953 "Frisco" Tuscan or light brown, whatever you want to call it, version that is very common and cheap which I also have. As I'm sure most everybody knows, just like hoppers of which I have 24, there are many versions of gondolas. At last count I have 26 of those when I stopped buying.

#429 ·
LOL, speaking of train shows. Here is a little advice. I love deals on train items. I am not afraid to offer less. There is a way to do it. I never offer less on just one item. Well seldom. I find a seller with multiple items I want. I offer a crazy price. That starts the negotiations. You have to remember the seller would rather not drag all that stuff home.
You also have to know both sides need to feel like they won. So I start low and reach a good price and both sides feel good about the deal. You have to know your prices on things for this to work for you. Sounds simple but many don't know "the art of negotiations". I might have learned this from selling cars for 30 years.

#433 ·
No idea what the shells should sell for but do know they are good looking,

Wild guess here. $180 for the pair. To me, with newer shells they are not vintage any longer.
I bought fly/onel Alco pair brand new from the 1990s for 180. AA with one dummy.

#437 ·
Thanks for asking. I actually held back because I wanted unbiased opinions, though I know most collectors seem to favor the steamers. I paid $129 for the pair and he threw in a decent storage box.

I am a sucker for these dual motor Alco's. And I really wanted those clean chassis. Maybe to go with some super clean vintage shells someday.