Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From some years ago
Kodachrome slide converted to digital.

A contest for realistic photos of scenery and equipment. First prize was two dozen assorted Athearn BB and Roundhouse kits.
Sponsored by a local club... small entry fee ($3.00 I think).

It's an early production Kadee boxcar on a small diorama, photographed outdoors (on a tenement rooftop).
I blocked and re-'stenciled' the load/weight data before weathering.
Couplers without trip pins were installed for the photo.
Photos were strictly judged...
I learned that the biggest give-aways were the ladder, and the paint thickness on the roof grab.
ContestGN_001.jpg

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Very impressive. I do see the give-aways, but there's a third. The out-of-focus shrubs in the foreground and the blurred background. CombineZP, Helicon, or other stacking softwares would clean those up nicely.

Those aside, the model is excellent IMO. Much better than I could hope to achieve.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Great shot.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Honestly, I'd cheat. I take a picture of the real thing and then downgrade it to a model. (Using said software). That's my only hope.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I think you’d lose that sense of pride and accomplishment then.....except, of course, for your photoshopping skills.....:LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never won a contest...
All the winners I've seen are either scratch builds, or dioramas involving water.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Late Starter just an outstanding job and I don't think I've ever seen that Mountain goat Logo on Rolling Stock....love it and I'm with you on Water Diorama's...they seem to be picked as winners....everyone has different judging criteria I guess...but still that's a heck of a Weathering job!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts