Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, he is wondering which one of those four looks most realistic?
I told him I’d ask 50+ people and get a consensus.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMO, layouts always look more realistic with lights in a sunset room.
I’m working on illuminating businesses and apartments according to a fast clock schedule, by using a microprocessor - specifically an Arduino. I’ve also designed a PCB for a light driver which can light up to six LEDs (or devices) and can be stacked to fit into an N scale building.

Imagine it is sunset. The streetlights come on. A few minutes later, the storefront lights come on, one by one. The Billboards light up. As time goes on, the apartments in the buildings also come on. The nightclub comes to life, with lights inside pulsating to the music.
As the night goes on, the store signage and store lights extinguishes on the smaller storefronts. Later, each apartment light goes out as well. The last to shut down are the nightclub, the pub and a few remaining apartments, leaving the streetlights and billboards to pierce the darkness all night…
Finally, morning arrives. Some apartments lights turn on until their inhabitants leave for the day. The streetlights and billboards go dark. Later, the store lights come back on. Another day has begun. “

I’d like to ask how many of you would be interested in an article showing how I did this? Or not interested. Either way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m working on illuminating businesses and apartments according to a fast clock schedule, by using a microprocessor - specifically an Arduino. I’ve also designed a PCB for a light driver which can light up to six LEDs (or devices) and can be stacked to fit into an N scale building.

Imagine it is sunset. The streetlights come on. A few minutes later, the storefront lights come on, one by one. The Billboards light up. As time goes on, the apartments in the buildings also come on. The nightclub comes to life, with lights inside pulsating to the music.
As the night goes on, the store signage and store lights extinguishes on the smaller storefronts. Later, each apartment light goes out as well. The last to shut down are the nightclub, the pub and a few remaining apartments, leaving the streetlights and billboards to pierce the darkness all night…
Finally, morning arrives. Some apartments lights turn on until their inhabitants leave for the day. The streetlights and billboards go dark. Later, the store lights come back on. Another day has begun. “

I’d like to ask how many of you would be interested in an article showing how I did this? Or not interested. Either way.
I'm interested. I think that would be cool.

·
Registered
This is a vintage Kato GP-38-2
161 Posts
All are amazing! I'd go beach by a hair, because as was pointed out, it has great depth. But they're all really impressive. Well designed and nicely lit!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
HO scale.
View attachment 585365

Note the television glow in that house window. Foreground is an illuminated beach concession stand.
View attachment 585366

View attachment 585367

After hours at the DQ?
View attachment 585368
Oil Valley Railway;

All your dad's structures look great. (y) I really like the lighted Woolworths sign in your first photo. Is this one of the simulated "Neon" signs from Miller engineering, or is it another brand? I have a Woolworths building on my layout, since my first job was at a Woolworths store. I'd like to get one of those lighted Woolworths signs. My layout is N-scale rather than HO-scale like your dad's, but hey, It could just be a big sign. Looking in Walther's, I did not see this sign. Can you tell me where your dad got it?

Thanks;
Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oil Valley Railway;

All your dad's structures look great. (y) I really like the lighted Woolworths sign in your first photo. Is this one of the simulated "Neon" signs from Miller engineering, or is it another brand? I have a Woolworths building on my layout, since my first job was at a Woolworths store. I'd like to get one of those lighted Woolworths signs. My layout is N-scale rather than HO-scale like your dad's, but hey, It could just be a big sign. Looking in Walther's, I did not see this sign. Can you tell me where your dad got it?

Thanks;
Traction Fan 🙂
I’m pretty sure it is Miller Engineering but I zipped him a text to confirm it. He has bought several signs from them I know (palace theater, etc).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts