Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tom here is the bridge I spoke of a couple days ago. The over all structure is 30" long x 12"' wide. Built from 1 x 4's with Plastistruck structural pieces to simulate steel ribbing. The hinge is 8th inch tempered board. As can be seen in the pictures, since the super structure is supposed to be steel, the structure has some light weathering. I've been going to go back and add heavier weathering but never got to it.
The ends of the track on the bridge and on the land side where the end of the bridge comes down and contacts the rails on the land side are beveled on both. The tracks on the bridge are powered so when the bridge is lowered, and the rails touch there is good power. That area where the rails touch took some doing to get the right amount of "touch". Too much and the bridge rail ends stuck up. Too high and limited electrical current and derailment. Too low and same result--derailment. It is 44" to the concrete floor. When I say too high or too low I mean anything less then dead on perfect didn't work. Lots of small steps in shimming. Even though Flyer steam engine pilot wheels are somewhat forgiving as are all drivers because of their diameter, there was still derailment because of the slight height bump. Perfectly aligned track ends are required also. The wheels of any diesel locomotive were worse since they are a smaller diameter.
I tried several hinge configurations. What I ended up with is on an actual prototype railroad bridge I saw in Indiana on a short line railroad over a river.
Notice the highly technical 2 x 4 open bridge support.
I don't think this got to the Photo of The Day section. Sorry. I didn't do something right. Maybe if I had used the correct title, "Photo of The Day" instead of "Picture of The Day", maybe it would have gotten to the correct place?

Kenny
Bridge 003.jpg
Bridge 004.jpg
Bridge 007.jpg

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
That is an impressive bridge. Making these work reliably is difficult as you detailed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Al. It wasn't easy. The actual design, except for the hinges, was already in my head. The challenge was how to hinge it so it could be raised easily and with out any trouble.
Never say never. If you put your mind to it and can visualize the finished product, anything can be done given enough time and patience.

Kenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts