Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this might be a little early to start, but the more time spent designing the less time rebuilding.

I found anyrail software but can not change file type to post pictures of the track plan. Does anyone know how to or a program that could post track plans with?
I want to do this layout in sections set up for the industies like a modular layout. Set for operations on a point to point with a hiden track connecting the two points. I did dogbones, loops, figure eights mostly from the atlas track plans book. It is easy to copy something but to do the designing is little challenging.

Size of layout double level maybe three levels if possible.
in room one 16'x2' with a 3'x3' attachment in one corner for helix.
in room two 10'x2' with a 3'x3' corner for second helix.
rooms connected through wall.

single main line for freight
double main line for passengers

time period: 1940-1970's
type of cars : passenger, covered hoppers, cattle, tank, box

I want to scratch build buildings for all the types of cars. I started on a passenger station and have plans for at least 2 more. Once I get the buildings finished I will post pictures of them, and once I get the building built for the section of the layout I will start building that. The first section needs stations, factory, and house. Should I post progress pictures or wait until finished? I am not sure of the attachments if there is a limit to the number.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you gunrunnerjohn that saves me from having to learn a new program.

Here are some pictures not much done

I always take pictures of every step in case I want to make another, or hopefully my children might get back into trains after their teenage years are over with. I also got the track plan for this module.

I added a yard idea not set in stone yet.

station.jpg

SUNP0001.JPG

SUNP0004.JPG

yard.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for the help and information.

I did a quick over view of the whole layout bottom level had to cut it in half to fit on the page. Just to give you all an idea of the size I have to work with. I like doing the designing and the work in small sections. It will take years to get everything done. I do have 2 sons and 2 daughters plus a husband to help with some of the work.

I added a side from an idea from another post I read for the yard. My husband said it was possible to add the 1'x3' area. We will see when it comes time for him to build the benchwork.
over all.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
5/22/13 progress

An update on the station
SUNP0008.JPG

SUNP0004.JPG

I just realized that since this is a shelf layout and the back would not be seen I could have saved time and materials by not putting the windows and doors in on the back of the building. I will paint this tomorrow then Friday I start on the platform part of the station.

·
Registered
896 Posts
its nice to see the other half interested in RR. you do some fine scratch building. yes you could have left out the windows but some day that station may be moved to a spot were the back can be seen. i say do it all. my 2 cents

and welcome.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you.

I got the walls and windows painted all ready well first coat on walls. I am going to start drawing the template for the post for the platform.

SUNP0001.JPG

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0003.JPG

I know it seems like I have a lot of time to work on the layout, well I do. The store I worked at closed down a couple of months ago and instead of watching TV I decided to work on a layout. Hope you don't mind daily updates.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I been playing around with an interchange yard design. The area will be on different modules so I color coded the different sections.

yard.jpg

I finished the suports for the station's platform roof.

the template used to cut the angles
platform roof (1).JPG

last six post glued to my work board
platform roof.JPG

three post I did last night glued to the roof
platform roof (2).JPG

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just about spent the time that I would have been in work building a station. Too bad I can not turn this into a job would be fun to go to work then. One more roof to go, but I might put some shades in before the roof goes on. Time to take a break and get some house work done. Might be finished tomorrow.

almost (4).JPG

I had to the first train into the station without a locomotive but still.
next (2).JPG

Sky view of the station,
next (5).JPG

from the station side
next (4).JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
SUNP0013.JPG

SUNP0003.JPG

See what I was talking about on your blue house? Your new build almost looks like the same building as the first one. Though the second story on the new build is taller.

But look at the windows on the first one compared to the second one.
Maybe it is the door on the first build, too small?

Not rivet counting, just trying to explain what I was talking about on the blue house.

This second one looks right on. Looks great. :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you.

Big Ed, it is the same style house because I put the door at 6' then added steps in front it turned out too small around 4 1/2' . I have been thinking about redo the building it was one of the first I scratch built in n-scale. It was a learned experience. You got a good eye for detail. The original building was a train station over the years the platform came off and I had to reglue the walls together. I am rebuilding it as a train station but I don't have the original colors so they changed. The building I copied is Villanova train station done from a picture not blue prints so the measurements are not right.

Gunrunnerjohn, I am 45 I might not go back to work. My husband makes enough money the house is almost paid off, I might take an early retirement. I am still debating it and not looking for a job right now. 29 years of working since I was a 16 year old girl from babysitting to ringing up customers. At least I am taking a break.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
OK, I see now if you took the steps away it might look a little more to size.
Six foot? Most doors are seven foot?
All you have to do with the blue house is leave the steps and make the door bigger then?

Looks 100% better then my scratch built house, I never made one. :eek::)

But like I said, in the second house they are right on. :thumbsup:

Maybe think about a chimney up top?
Gutters? You can make the down spouts with the right sized drinking straws or drink mixers.
And when you place it on the table it would need a white picket fence around it. :D

The station looks great too, but.......

next (4).JPG

One question, this is a N scale passenger train right, not HO? In this picture do you think the roof looks a little low sitting next to the train? Maybe it is just me who thinks it looks a little low?
Maybe your going to raise it?

Sorry Michelle, Like I said I am not rivet counting but am just saying what I think/observe, maybe I am wrong?

An easy fix just raise the whole base up and add some step down stairs around it and a bulkhead along the tracks.
Is it me or do others think it looks low, come on others don't be bashful. :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right Big Ed but the train and station are just sitting on my work table. Once the foundation is put in place with the park lot it would raise the station 1/2" from the base.

I have to get my hubby to build the benchwork for this section. I do things a little different from the normal way I guess. My husband is a contractor so I picked up some things from him over the past 20 years. I pour fondations for my buildings it keeps them level, mix plaster watery add gray paint into mix and pour it levels itself off.

I do like your ideas of gutters and drain pipes just not sure how to do that. The gutters would be about 6" wide or 1mm I got an idea for the station thanks.

I put the 1/2" plywood I use for forms to pour the plaster into under the station. Is that beter?

station.JPG

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big Ed don't be sorry keep it up wish some people around here would give input like that.

What do you think gutter and drainage just needs some paint.

station im (1).JPG

station im (2).JPG

chimney

station im.JPG

I forgot to post these picture last time.

SUNP0006.JPG

SUNP0008.JPG

SUNP0010.JPG

the next building walls cut out and taped together for now, wanted to make sure it all fit together.

SUNP0012.JPG

SUNP0013.JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
OK.

I am not picking on you.
I just see things and pass them on in the threads.
I do that to all. ;)

If I see something that looks out of place I don't keep it a secret and just say it looks great. I just have to say something about it. Sometimes that is a good thing other times someone might get mad at me. But....that is me.

That looks better. :thumbsup:

I don't know about the gutters, but straws make nice downspouts if you find the right size. I will search on the actual making of N scale gutters.
What you did under the station will work. Ask hubby to be on the lookout for scrap foam pieces. Blue or pink. You can use them too. The foam carves out nice with a pencil burner or even a pencil for making blocks of rock, or simulating planks of wood.
Though for the station platform I would think most of the old ones were wood planks. I guess new ones could be concrete.

Either way that is much better looking, you should have said that then I wouldn't have had to say anything.:p

This picture is of a trestle I bought from one of our members. I made the rock base out of packing foam the kind you see in appliance boxes. The rock holding up the trestle is made from old meat packing foam trays. The foam that holds the chicken or steaks when you buy them, it comes in a variety of sizes. (just clean them good with soap)
The rock bases I made our going to be used else where now, as I changed the base to ceiling tiles and I used 2 empty mushroom foam containers and made smaller rock foundations now.
I am just trying to show you what you can do with scrap foam. (free garbage):D
The whole thread is here,
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=13154

As with most of my projects it is still waiting to be finished. :eek:

p9080001.jpg

1 - 20 of 237 Posts