Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer crashed last month and I lost most of my train-related bookmarks. Among them included some nice blueprints for scratch-building some older style cars, so I'm wondering if anyone can help? What I'm looking for is a wooden standard-gauge flatcar around 36' in length. I've seen some with four or six sills and usually four truss rods, but the images I'm finding do not have any dimensions or are too blurry to read.

The info I've found seems to suggest the sills are made from 6x12 lumber, and the needle beams are 8x8? And I think the bolsters are also 6x12 but laid flat and somehow tapered up taller in the center, but I can't seem to find any real details about the bolsters for the all-wood cars.

I'm hoping to build up several flatcars for my shelf layout, and convert a few into gondolas or maybe even some boxcars, since they all seemed to use the same frame from that time period, but I have no idea where I found all this information before. :(

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately that's exactly the document where I've been getting my limited info from so far. Unfortunately none of them really seem to be based off any prototype except the CS-30 at the end, and that one has no legible dimensions in the blueprints. There's also a PDF from an S-scale narrow gauge group (labeled as "1711 Dispatch") which has some nice blueprints, but they are completely made up from ideas the author saw on a trip.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stumpy -- The last one has some useful info. I had seen the blueprint image but couldn't find the web page to go with it, your link provided a bit more detail for the measurements. I just wish the blueprints had the original measurements instead of reference letters, I'll try to calculate my own measurements from it though. It looks like that company had exactly what I'm looking for -- the 36' long standard gauge flat car (named "Oregon"). Thanks, I appreciate that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts