Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is a continuation of the discussion regarding plastic 300 Atlantics with plastic tenders based on my replies to comments to Old Smokey 47’s posting on converting coupler styles. As previously noted, I have a plastic 300 Atlantic with plastic tender. It is part of the 521T set I received for Christmas in 1952, when I was 2 years old. The set was cataloged only that year. (Doyle pg. 223 and Gilbert catalog 1952 at, http://www.myflyertrains.org/AF_Catalogs/Gilbert Catalogs.htm.) This set has been in my possession ever since. Here's the set.
100_1393.JPG
Until I read comments from flyernut and AmFlyer I had thought that plastic 300s came with either metal or plastic tenders and that plastic tenders were not unusual. I am far from an expert on these things. The date stamp in the boiler is smudged and the month stamp is largely missing. The year stamp appears to be 1952. I thought the month stamp was missing but on further examination I can make out remnants of the feet from an N, so date stamp is Nov 1952. This is best image of the date stamp my camera could manage.

100B1360.JPG

In checking references, Doyle is not clear on whether or not plastic 300s came with plastic tenders. Doyle, page 19 lists a "Type VI" 300 as late 1952 with plastic boiler but does not list tender information for it. Greenberg's 2nd edition, page 73 paragraph (F) lists a 1953 plastic boiler 300 with plastic Atlantic-type tender body. I have part of an article by Tom Hamler printed in S Gaugian that reports 6 variations of 300 Atlantics with 1952 versions typically found with plastic tenders. Unfortunately I do not have a complete copy of the issue so can't include a proper citation. Here's the locomotive and tender.
100_1399.JPG

Over the years, the locomotive tender have received their fair share of repairs, including replacement screws, repaired mounting posts, new tender to locomotive wires, new armature and field coil. But, locomotive shell and tender are original.

Hope you find this interesting and any thoughts, questions, or further discussion on this would be welcome.

Thanks,

PHM

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That is very interesting and well documented. The shell appears to be date stamped as Nov 1952 as you say. I have seen no documented 300's with plastic tenders, that could be because no one was looking for them or since the provenance was unknown it could not be said with certainty the tender was original to the engine. Yours is fully documented and you are the original owner, that is as good as it gets.
Some 282's produced in 1952 are well documented with plastic tenders, so we know these plastic tenders were made in at least the later part of 1952. There is no reason some could not have been stamped for the Reading Lines and used with the Atlantic engines. You have a rare and not previously reported variation.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I sure can't stay up with all the variations for 300 series Atlantics.
I have 2 282s. One has a metal tender (1952) and one has a plastic
tender (1953).

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just did a quick check for what it's worth of eBay 300/300AC listings and found the following: A combined total of 22 300 series locomotives are listed. A total of 13 300AC listings, all metal tenders and 9 300 listings with all but 1 being metal tenders. A total of 11 of the listings were 3 spring trucks, the rest 2 spring trucks. The sole 300 plastic tender was a 3 spring truck. Some of the locomotives had wire rails, some had molded. One locomotive tender had sintered side frames which I didn't include in the "survey" since it clearly didn't belong with the 300 locomotive in was listed with and no visible wiring shown.
My conclusion is that there are more variations than I knew of. There were also 3 sets. When I say sets I mean the seller had cars with the locomotives. They were not listed as factory numbered sets. In one of those sets the metal tender had the indented "American Flyer" side. Thinking of grabbing it.
Oh and one other tidbit, 3 hole tender is shown also with one of the locomotives.

Kenny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I saw the one with the plastic tender. It looks to be in better condition than mine and looks to me to be original condition, but in these days of ebay mix and match, who knows. :) My tender also has 3 spring trucks.
100_1405.JPG

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think I saw the one with the plastic tender. It looks to be in better condition than mine and looks to me to be original condition, but in these days of ebay mix and match, who knows. :) My tender also has 3 spring trucks.
View attachment 541302
When I was doing my survey of the 300/300AC listings on eBay that plastic tender one caught my eye because of the nice lettering and the fact that it has 3 spring trucks. One other thing I think Tom or Cramden mentioned, and now I look for, is the 2 vertical slots in the rear truck.

Kenny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked the trucks on my tender. Both front and rear have 2 vertical slots. The slots are on the electrical pick up side only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts