Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I have a new FlyerChief 4-8-4 Northern on order but do not have a Berkshire. Watching the videos it appears to be 2 chuffs. If you are considering a FlyerChief purchase, or have one I recommend you check out Carl Tuveson's website tuveson.com. He has converted a Berkshire to TMCC and posted videos along with pictures and instructions to do the conversion. It looks like a really interesting alternative if you have a Legacy control system.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What is the chuff rate of the Lionel FlyerChief Polar Express locomotive? Can that chuff rate be either mechanically or electronically altered to increase it?
ogaugeguy: I have the Birkshire #765 NPR and no where in the operators manual does it say anything about the chuff rate only the volume. I assume it is set at the factory. Word of caution on the smoke unit>It is very easy to overfill so be careful. BTW my fan for the smoke was broken when I receive the engine so I had to send it back to Lionel Service. Everything OK now. Larry

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a new FlyerChief 4-8-4 Northern on order but do not have a Berkshire. Watching the videos it appears to be 2 chuffs. If you are considering a FlyerChief purchase, or have one I recommend you check out Carl Tuveson's website tuveson.com. He has converted a Berkshire to TMCC and posted videos along with pictures and instructions to do the conversion. It looks like a really interesting alternative if you have a Legacy control system.
AmFlyer: I also have a new FlyerChief 4-8-4 ordered. I'm getting the "Milwaukee Road" Version. I'm getting tired of looking at all my "Silver Nosed" Lionel Steamers. Wanted a pure black one this time. What version are you getting?? They sure look nice in their catalog.
Larry

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I picked the NYC since my new layout will be based on a Pennsylvania theme. I considered a UP but I already have a lot of UP. If it were legacy equipped rather than FlyerChief I would have ordered both.

·
Admin
47,883 Posts
The chuff rate of the LC+ is set by the microprocessor and is not alterable by the user. The LC may have hope, I see this optical chopper in the parts list for generating the chuff. One presumes you could change to something that generates the chuffs in the cadence you desire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts