Model Train Forum banner

What is your most favourite aspect of your hobby?

• The train and rolling stock.

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Track layout.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Landscape.

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Operating the layout.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Set history, era or period.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 17.9%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
Please pick what you find is the most important aspect about your hobby.
If your choice aspect is not on this poll, please select 'Other'.
Thank you for participating.
Can't vote, I pick all but set history, era..........

Reactions: Choobacker

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
I agree with several others: no, I can't pick just one. It's the combination of all of those things that makes ithe hobby attractive. To me, there would be little point in doing any of those aspects of the hobby without the others.

The only things I don't particularly enjoy are wiring and ballasting track, both necessary evils.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I choose operations as I like puzzles. I designed a bottleneck and multiple yards in the layout to maximize the logistics of getting car "A" to yard "C" while in a consist of multiple cars going to different yards. Make the turnout right and keep the mainlines rolling while switching in the yards. Trying to keep at least 3 locomotives running with DCC without a automated system. It is a challange. Scenery is also fun for me. The worst is repair and maintaining locomotives, cars and track...I tire of it easily. I have soooo much to repair, upgrade, fix, and sell off...UG! 😟

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I love/hate the hunt for what I want. Longvago I set parameters of just a narrow amounr of acquisition....seen too many folks with large collections lose money.Also, running trains for personal or guest pleasure is a treat going both ways!

·
Premium Member
14,044 Posts
Seems like almost all the choices are dependant upon having trains and rolling stock….can’t operate without the trains, could build track and scenery without trains, but why?

But I guess we all have favorites, so….

·
Registered
This is a vintage Kato GP-38-2
198 Posts
Locos and freight (or passenger) cars are the centerpiece, but building a convincing and eye-catching layout for said trains is paramount. There's a ton of great examples on this forum, Eye candy for a modeler!
I use my layout to chill out, so I keep operations short and sweet, so I can get down to the serious business of being mesmerized by the moving train

·
Registered
150 Posts
Depends on the day and my mood. Some days I want to run trains. Others I want to add buildings and/or work on scenery. Sometimes I place a new car/truck in just the right spot. Others, I might find the exact historically correct NYC engine or car for a particular train. Sometimes I just turn the lights on and look over the layout and do nothing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My "other" is tinkering: solving issues with engines, cars, track, then there's buildings, design, planning, hunting for material, and sometimes just watching trains run.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
My "other" is tinkering: solving issues with engines, cars, track, then there's buildings, design, planning, hunting for material, and sometimes just watching trains run.
This is a lot of it for me. Over the years since about 1980 I have bought N scale locos, freight cars and passenger cars. I spend a goodly amount of time repairing and updating stuff, as changing a lot of incandescent illuminated passenger cars to use LED lighting, and selling locos and passenger car sets to pay for it. Then there is repair work. There always seems to be something to fix or maintain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts