Model Train Forum banner

What is your most favourite aspect of your hobby?

• The train and rolling stock.

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Track layout.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Landscape.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Operating the layout.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Set history, era or period.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 20.0%
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Other: I love projects where I build something or do something new - a new area of the layout and buildings there, or working on the layout - changing the landscape or making a road into an operating road, etc.
Yeah, I ended up with Lee and others who chose "other" by default, because my focus on any given day shifts between just about all the other choices. Sometime the shift is dictated by circumstances (a larger project that spins off into other sub-projects, or generates the need for unexpected repairs on a bad day!), and sometimes by discovering something new to try, or deciding to revisit old favorites. Probably the least favorite options for me would be operations and historical recreation, though at times both enter into my current enthusiasm or project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Operating the layout was my first pick followed by train and rolling stock the remainder I feel are end result of the others.
I enjoy running trains. I will start doing scenery and end up running trains but eventually the project gets done after several starts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Assuming that most of the "Other" aspect was chosen mainly due to indecision of a single favourite aspect. Nevertheless, it is so far clear that the majority consider the actual 'train and rolling stock' the most favourite aspect. Followed by watching their trains in 'operation', and travelling through their 'landscape'.

These three favourite aspects, in sequence of proportion, makes common sense.

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

This poll has helped me to understand the fascination of model trains, by others, a little more.
It certainly has questioned my own favourite aspects, especially how it has changed from before involvement to now as a newbie (without a layout). I am sure it will change again as I get more involved with the whole indoctrination of buying train and track, putting it together, and finally have some fun in operating the system.

Thank you all for participating with this poll.
I will keep watching this to see how it develops with more voters.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Assuming that most of the "Other" aspect was chosen mainly due to indecision of a single favourite aspect. Nevertheless, it is so far clear that the majority consider the actual 'train and rolling stock' the most favourite aspect. Followed by watching their trains in 'operation', and travelling through their 'landscape'.
That's a completely false assumption. Not that many of us don't have a favorite part of the hobby, but that failure to strongly prefer one aspect over another constitutes some level of indicisiveness.. There is no requirement that one have a favorite. I'd argue that those who don't have a preference have a greater appreciation for the whole breadth of what the hobby covers than those who do have a preference. Not that there's anything wrong with having one either. But I think your assumption fails to understand that many of us appreciate the hobby and all of its possibilities holistically.

These polls are also not statistically valid, because there is no control over your sample. How many people who don't have a strong preference rolled their eyes at the poll and simply didn't participate. Ji hadn't voted until a few minutes ago. So you have no way of knowing whether your "other" category is under-represented.

Reactions: Choobacker

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's a completely false assumption. Not that many of us don't have a favorite part of the hobby, but that failure to strongly prefer one aspect over another constitutes some level of indicisiveness.. There is no requirement that one have a favorite. I'd argue that those who don't have a preference have a greater appreciation for the whole breadth of what the hobby covers than those who do have a preference. Not that there's anything wrong with having one either. But I think your assumption fails to understand that many of us appreciate the hobby and all of its possibilities holistically.

These polls are also not statistically valid, because there is no control over your sample. How many people who don't have a strong preference rolled their eyes at the poll and simply didn't participate. Ji hadn't voted until a few minutes ago. So you have no way of knowing whether your "other" category is under-represented.
I started a poll so I could get a better understanding of the hobby. Even though the poll was not a well thought out one, after all what would a newcomer know, it did give some insight. Even your critical analysis of the poll helped me to understand the hobby better. So, 'thank you for your response'. :)

·
Hobo for Life
7,323 Posts
It is what it is, a poll. You get out of it what you want to. Some are more passionate about the hobby then others. And TBH, dosen't matter what aspects you like best, as we all have an intrest in it. So ,the poll, while not technically a correct slice of the population, its good enough for some. The main thing is have fun doing what makes it fun for you. There is no wrong way to have a hobby.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts