Model Train Forum banner

421 - 440 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Water treatment plant was a bust. Big metal building with a bunch of machines inside. No tanks, no reservoir, just a blue building out in the middle of no where. I did get them service so the plant can work.

Working on the lake and the grid. Here are a few pictures. Have not had much time to mess with the layout lately

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I have the grid almost done, a couple of vehicles that I want to put in it, and maybe an office site, but basically it is finished. The station that I am going to use for my Amtrak set up is almost done

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I love the highway. You don't see that too often on a layout. Great job.

C

·
0 Posts
Both the power grid and station look great. The station scene is well developed and looks fabulous even though it's still a work in progress. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Thank you guys. Still some work to do on both and have to do the cooling tower tie in. Most likely a little farther away from the plant than they should be, but I don't claim perfection by any means.

Eventually I am tearing all the mountains down and redoing them with out plaster. But that will be at least another year. Still trying to get my island built so I can move forward on my new Veteran's Hospital. I want to cantilever the floors and make it very modern in appearance. I can at least do something for them if the government won't.

The wife is very involved with the hospital project. Seems to be excited about doing it. She is as at Cedar Sinai Hospital this week and will be at Riverside County next week

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Thanks Gramps,

You guy's approval makes it all the more fun.

I picked up an Amtrak passenger train and want to make this a commuter stop. Eventually when I get the peninsula/island built, I plan to have bridges that will attach it. Way down the road for sure. Currently I have four roads to no where.

I also plan to enclose the layout. Make a room around it and over it. Big project and a bunch of money I am thinking. With this rain, my work hours have been terrible, but not a lot of them.

I did not have a plan for my rail road. I had ideas, but not a single one of them had roads in it. Just space where I could navigate to the industry or business. I am working on making the infrastructure work with what I have.

Actually the whole area where the station and saw mill are at, are added on to the main board. Originally it was supposed to be forest for the saw mill, but realized I needed a siding for it after it went a little more modern.

Most of my layout is rural and would only have gravel/dirt roads.

Also have a plan to put a 4 lane freeway over the entire industrial area. It will be approximately 18 feet in length. Getting the intestinal fortitude to do that has taken longer than I though. lol

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It is coming along so nicely.

Something I have wondered about and was reminded looking at your most recent pictures - would horsehair work for power lines?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
You know, I have access to Friesan horse hair I think. But it might be too black. Their mains and tails are extremely long. Never thought of that. I don't like the wire I used very well. But not sure I want to start over on it Actually bought some straight brass rod, thinking I could put a slight sag in it with a bend. But it is too thick.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You know, I have access to Friesan horse hair I think. But it might be too black. Their mains and tails are extremely long. Never thought of that. I don't like the wire I used very well. But not sure I want to start over on it Actually bought some straight brass rod, thinking I could put a slight sag in it with a bend. But it is too thick.
The thickness seems perfect. I have an old horsehair brush and a strand came out and that gave me the idea. With the tensile strength I think it would give the perfect sag and obviously could not get a weird bend in it or kink. On one strand of hair, the darkness might be an advantage. A drop of iso glue would affix each end. Why not try it out? Or mail me some and I will add it to mine! Not seeing many horses, LOL.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
I have a customer that breeds and shows Friesian horses.
http://www.friesianfocus.com/

I am going there next week. Will see if I can get some of the tail hair. It would be nearly 4 foot long. Great idea, and if I can get it, will figure out a way to get some of it to you. These are extremely high end horses, and are owned by micro biologists. They may just say no, really don't have an idea. My daughter in law has a horse to, so will try that approach also. It would be kind of cool to say I had part of a 750 thousand dollar stallion on my layout. lol

I am guessing Joe will say no to my idea, but who knows. I am a jarhead, trying to clone one is out of my reach. lol

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a customer that breeds and shows Friesian horses.
http://www.friesianfocus.com/

I am going there next week. Will see if I can get some of the tail hair. It would be nearly 4 foot long. Great idea, and if I can get it, will figure out a way to get some of it to you. These are extremely high end horses, and are owned by micro biologists. They may just say no, really don't have an idea. My daughter in law has a horse to, so will try that approach also. It would be kind of cool to say I had part of a 750 thousand dollar stallion on my layout. lol

I am guessing Joe will say no to my idea, but who knows. I am a jarhead, trying to clone one is out of my reach. lol
Holy cow! Them there are some serious horses!

Reminds me of an old broken down nag my grandfather once sold. The potential buyer asked if the horse was any good. My grandfather replied "He no looka so good, but he'sa strong".

So the guy buys him and soon is back, pissed off. "Hey", he said, "this horse is blind!".

Grandpa replied "I told you he no looka so good".

Thanks in advance if it works out!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
Yea it is a serious operation, but a hobby. Joan is into the showing side and breeding side of it. Joe wants stallions/geldings. Well over a million dollars in the barn that houses 24 of the horses. Just crazy if you ask me, but what ever floats your boat I guess. I talked to the daughter in law and she will bring me some next week. So will have an idea if it works or not. She says her's are about four foot, brown and black.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
I have some hair from the Daughter in Law's horse. Will give it a shot and see if it works.

Headed to Durango/Silverton, Telluride/Ridgeway and Ouray next week. Marking the end of my train season I assume.

Took the mountain bike today and did a 23.3 mile ride around Diamond Valley Lake in Hemet. 1:47:39time, only off my best time by about 6 minutes, so still in pretty good shape, other than being a giant food blister! So most likely the garage is off limits some.
Anxious to see how it is going to look, but now it seems it won't happen until late fall

'

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have some hair from the Daughter in Law's horse. Will give it a shot and see if it works.

Headed to Durango/Silverton, Telluride/Ridgeway and Ouray next week. Marking the end of my train season I assume.

Took the mountain bike today and did a 23.3 mile ride around Diamond Valley Lake in Hemet. 1:47:39time, only off my best time by about 6 minutes, so still in pretty good shape, other than being a giant food blister! So most likely the garage is off limits some.
Anxious to see how it is going to look, but now it seems it won't happen until late fall

'
Sounds good; let us know how it works.

How did you find a straight, 23 mile downhill run?

:p

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

'

Have you had a chance to order any catenary for use in your power plant?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
No MichaelE I haven't. I am still working, I have no reason why, but I still love my job and still show up quite regularly. I have two micro wave towers to finish before I leave on vacation Sunday, so have been tied up with them for the last couple of weeks.

I doubt I do anything with it for a couple of months. I am headed to Durango to ride the Narrow gauge train to Silverton, do Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon stuff next week. Then to Ouray in July for the Toyota FJ Summit for two weeks.

Hopefully I can ride my bike a lot this summer, then I have a car run that I sponsor/lead in October, plus a trip to Ouray in September for an Alumni group of FJ guys. Also a week in Moab. In the summer the train falls way down the list of priorities unfortunately.

I didn't get my AC in the garage like I had planned, so that keeps me out of the hell hole in the summer. Maybe this fall I will get it in.

421 - 440 of 463 Posts