Model Train Forum banner

441 - 460 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
The ride is pretty flat, a little over 1000 foot of climbing, but it was 94 degrees. That had a pretty good affect on me after the ride, but not during the ride. Today we installed two 20 foot micro wave towers in an RV park. I could have done without those for sure. Setting here fighting to stay awake. Battle is being lost I can promise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Just checking in, still alive, but in my busy mode. I did a little work on the layout night before last. Have decided the next project is the freeway across the layout. Most likely get serious about it in October, too much going on the rest of the summer. Still need to get the heater and AC installed. Ran out of time on that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Getting ready for a large mountain bike trip. Riding in Sedona, Flagstaff, Wolfcreek Pass, Telluride, Ouray, Up Black Bear switch backs.

Then to Moab to do the Rodeo, to Bryce Canyon to do Thunder Mountain, on to Navajo Lake to ride Virgin River Rim trail, Brian Head, then down to North rim of Grand Canyon to ride Rainbow Rim trail. Hoping to do just over 400 miles in 19 days. Most are at altitude. No way to train for that here, so will have to adapt when I get there.

After that trip, returning the 23rd of September, then leave for Lincoln, Nebraska to see the Huskers play Ohio State on the 28th, down to Jefferson City to ride Binder Lake and Caty trail. Go see the Chiefs play the Colts and then the wedding that I can thank for all this free time. LOL. That gets me back mid October and work on the layout starts again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Well got back and found a new Scale Train waiting for me. Ordered a new BLI heritage model for Southern Pacific. It should be at the hobby shop by now. Excited to get back to working on the layout.

I see a lot of you guys have been busy. Some great work being done.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Back at it again. Battling allergic reaction to Glaucoma medicine, so can't work at it long.

I have been threatening to make a freeway across the layout and finally started messing with it tonight. Got the main turn on it done and roughed int the layout. No paint on it yet so the white stands out a little too much

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
The freeway will be approximatly 18 feet long, going from one side to the other, depicting east and west. Both ends will end up going no where unfortunately. The wife wants her sports car in the garage. I guess I better give her at least a third of it, or it might get uncomfortable around here.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The elevated freeway is a neat idea. :thumbsup:

I recently added a couple of roads to nowhere. I've seen layouts with tracks to nowhere. I think they add interest to a layout by inviting the viewer to use their imagination.

"Where does that road go?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Yea, but the track cleaning will be a nightmare... Oh well, I just thought one day it would really be different, and since I am going more modern day era. It fits.

Thanks for the comments guys. Good to be back playing again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Oh and thanks guys for the welcome back stuff. I missed reading all you progress and activities. I have a lot of work to do this Holiday season, and won't be able to spend as much time on it as I had hoped. I keep telling them I retired in June, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Well it will make the Christmas Season Happier/not quite as broke. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Freeway Construction

Back at it again. Battling allergic reaction to Glaucoma medicine, so can't work at it long.

I have been threatening to make a freeway across the layout and finally started messing with it tonight. Got the main turn on it done and roughed int the layout. No paint on it yet so the white stands out a little too much
You will have to build a freeway for my layout before you high tail it to Utah Very impressive but your layout is too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
You need to post pictures of your layout asap.

We hang out at the same Hobby Shop, Dynamic Hobbies in Hemet. Loconut is into operations and had a giant yard and too many bridges to count. He is an avid railroad guy, and knows all the locomotives and such. He is a true modeler. Unlike me, who just throws stuff against the wall and hope it doesn't fall off.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry Poppet, I’m going to disagree with you on your last comment. I started reading this thread last night. All I can say is wow! You are more talented than you know. This is your first layout??! I wish I had half as much talent scenery wise. You truly have a gift. I’m going to continue reading, and can’t wait to see what happens next!

Andy

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Thanks Steamfan. I just have so much fun doing it. Keeps me off the couch when I am not riding my bicycle. I try to follow all of you guys and take any tip I can get. Unfortunately no one ever gives me money. lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Thanks Loconut. I have ideas now of how to do it. Would have been a lot easier if i had though about a couple of years ago. .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
WOW!!!!!

It is almost February and I have not worked on the layout. Too busy with work and got the SoCal cold that seems to take a month to get over.

Plus worked on the wife's sports car and put a new engine in mine. Hopefully with in the next week or so I can get back to work on it and catch up looking at all the work you guys have been doing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
In honesty we put a large turbo on my car two years ago, with nothing but problems. It has taken a world class tuner/builder two years to figure out/finally blowing the engine. It took me a while to just decide the car was good enough as it was originally. Had to locate a GM LGK crate engine to replace the original. It is a show car and takes a lot of time, the stress from it held me up some to I think.

My work normally slows down during the winter months, but just hasn't this year.

I have been buying new locomotives for the train layout while all this has been going on, but just not enough time in the day, or heat in the garage to spend much time on it.

I will try to do better. lol

441 - 460 of 462 Posts