Model Train Forum banner

Poppet Flats Railroad

37K views 471 replies 37 participants last post by  Dad_Eh 
#1 ·
This is my first layout, and I do things a lot differently than what the norm is. I had no idea how to build a lay our, what I wanted to do with it, or how to construct it.

I decided to build a layout frame out of box tubing, that was hinged and allowed me to pull the side up and not lose my garage space. Here are some photos of where I am at with it. Most of it isn't glued down, and the scenery is still in process. I don't like using the plaster, so all scenery will end up being just styrafoam.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The last picture shows my hill that I have to deal with due to my stupidity, but I can pull 20 cars up it with Broadway Limited PA's and Kato locos. I made my upper mountain area to resemble the Durango to Silverton route, but it is too high. Also has too many S turns, but it works. I will most likely do that over in the future to make it easier on the locomotives and my sanity. I plan to add another 80 foot of length during the winter months. I only work on it from December to late May, as have too many other things involved with during the summer. Still work as much as the company needs me and summer is the busy time.

I have a little more than 10 months work in the rail road. But planning to work on it a lot more this winter, actually hope to be working steadily on after October.

Thank You Nikola

#10 ·
again thank you for your kind words.

It made the wiring easier by having the hinge. It is operated by and ATV winch, that is wireless. It pulls it to a 90 degree angle, but with the track not being glued down I only take to 45-60 degrees. The back side of the lay out, I had to crawl around under the lay out, so wont be quite as much going on. lol

Posting on here is making me anxious to get back at it. Have several towers to build in the next two months and an off roading week near Silverton starting the 17th of September. I think after that I will able to spend a lot of time with the rail road.

Thank you guys for the compliments, I live in the mountains, quite a ways from town. Very few people have seen my train layout. Means a lot to have others that are into this appreciate my efforts.

#12 ·
Regarding the quarry, that is to cover the center hole so I have access to the whole track. It is made out 5 pieces of 2 inch styrofoam. It goes two above the flat, which is two sheets above the board level and two below. I just lift it up and put it off the table to work on track or to install buildings, the same thing with other one. They weigh nothing and fill a hole that I didn't like looking at. My guess they will be somewhat fragile when they are done, but necessity created them. had thought about making one a big lake, but decided on the tribute to Moab, where I spend a lot of time.

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you guys, means a lot for your acceptance.

Here are a few of pictures of building I have pre made for installation. each has a spot, but want to do the ground work first them drop them in and work up around them.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
A few more. All are lighted and have multiple floors.

I have not started weathering anything. Figure I will start somewhere in the back and learn how to do it, on building and the train.

This is such a great hobby, so much to learn, so much to do, so many experiments.

I have figured out how to put lights in the trucks, have several logging trucks with head lights, tail lights and flashing yellow. The Waste management trucks will all get that treatment.

Attachments

#20 ·
May have gotten a little close on the truck lights. DUH I don't like to finish anything, as my pea brain is always thinking of something else, so I work an area, or building until I get tired of messing with it and then move onto another project. It keeps me interested and excited to see if what I thought about worked. I have learned how to change the mountains and rock bases, and just starting to cover them with dirt, weeds and flowers. May have a little snow on the top of the mountains. My back drops will be that of the area around Ouary, Colorado with Mount Snefels prominently displayed, the other side will be the route from Grand Junction down to Ouray and from Cortez up thru Lizzard head pass. If I ever get that far.

#25 ·
Well spent the day under the table today, wiring in switches again, as I moved the control from the center to the outside and on the back so I can see what goes on, on most of the track. For some stupid reason I felt I need 38 switches to this point. Initially I had them all soldered, as I was somewhat able to do them above the table. I have given up, just not going to get finished, so have bought quality butt connectors, and that is still a pain the butt. Still have 15 to go, and that does not count the new expansion I plan on doing this winter. Way too hot to be crawling around under the table in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.