Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok it is not in prime condition. I did apply power and got a squeak. I then oiled the top and used a needle oiler for the bottom bearing. Here is what happened.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It hasn't been touched in ages. The motor is still in it's prime with good bushings. The earlier rmetal whistles are really cool but age and use has taken it's toll on most of them.

The shell was filthy. The third washing was just completed. At least it was mold free.
SN 1666-4 shell.
Rectangle Font Electric blue Fashion accessory Composite material

Tank Automotive tire Bumper Rectangle Motor vehicle

All the screw posts are cracked or missing.
Upon a closer inspection the lettering was masked off and the shell was repainted. You can just make out the original paint.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got my very first whistle tender earlier this year. I now have about 5 of the little suckers! None of them quite as rough as yours, but most not too far removed from that. None of them in working condition either when I acquired them.

They really are simple mechanisms - I totally disassemble, clean, rejuvenate and re-assemble every one as I acquire them. In one case, I stripped and repainted the sheet metal tender frame. Kinda' hated to do that, because I lost the factory part # stamp when I did. In addition to putting new wiring on all the trucks, I also have had to do some mechanical surgery on a few of the trucks.

All in all, I've ended up with 5 mechanisms that work wonderfully. I wish all the tender shells looked just as good. One actually does, the balance range from acceptable to yechhhh! :p

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S & W Parts supply offers reproduction Lionel tender shells, including the 1666T (albeit the 1666T is not shown).

Featured Specials

Has anyone ever gotten any of these shells? And if so, what did you think of it?
I can't say I have but knowing they are out there is great.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The motor has surface rust. The only caution is to be careful around the two field wires. If you break one you can unwind for more, but the other you cannot since it is at the very end. The dremel with two wire brush attachments did the trick. The brush holder was cleaned with oil. The armature plate was cleaned too.

Gas Auto part Engineering Machine Nut

Gas Auto part Metal Machine Tool

Just about ready.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
It made a great whistle sound, and I guess that was before you did anything else?
Most sound like a screech owl or worse. :)
That all you bought?

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mostly prewar Ed, a pair of 610 passenger cars incomplete and a bad repaint. They have dark red or maroon number boards. Do not know the original color. Two tank cars and a Baby Ruth Boxcar. One Tank Car is the four wheel 804 which I was looking for. The other is a 1680.

The frame is painted and drying and I cleaned the relay. The trucks are assembled and wired. One truck needed a mounting pin.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice. I just started looking at my postwar stuff, Thanks to Bob sending me a nice Lionel hopper car. I have a couple cabooses that I am repairing. Both Lionel lines center cupola based on the port hole window PRR caboose…

My engine is the Lionel Lines Hudson, but the tender has a plastic shell with a whistle that is really loud!

Tom

Reactions: T-Man
1 - 20 of 32 Posts