Model Train Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Paul, your tender is a hit ! (y)
My project is on a delay. I took a paint holiday on the flat front section. Just caught it today.

This year I gravitated to a smart phone and dumped the camera. It is just amazing for close up work. I am getting big pictures from drag and drop and discovered if go to upload they get resized to a decent frame.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Paul, your tender is a hit ! (y)
My project is on a delay. I took a paint holiday on the flat front section. Just caught it today.

This year I gravitated to a smart phone and dumped the camera. It is just amazing for close up work. I am getting big pictures from drag and drop and discovered if go to upload they get resized to a decent frame.
Yep. The phone will reduce the pic size to carry it over the cell network. Same if you text a pic to another phone. Most phones with USB charging can be accessed from a USB computer port. And you can transfer the original, full resolution pic to your PC.

I still use a 1- year-old point & shoot Canon that fits in a shirt pocket. Untold capabilities in manual mode on this $120 device. The macro function is excellent for closeup, detailed shots.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought a repo shell, but I can't remember where I got it.. It is a extremely nice shell.
I picked up a handful of old CTT magazines for free at a model train show earlier this summer. Thumbing thru the Winter 1989 issue, I spotted an ad for reproduction Lionel tender shells on page 9. Offered by Model Train Sales, Inc., out of Newark, N.J. I'd bet the tooling for these is the same that S & W is now using.

Any pictures of your shell you could post, flyernut? I wouldn't mind seeing it.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I guess the repros do not come with any hand rails for the ladder or steps.

Years ago I acquired one of the long tender shells. I jury rigged a box car frame to fit. :cool:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You guys are killing me :) I have only one whistle from my 259E's tender. It has a broken relay tab (JB Weld?). And while the motor ran strong, the "bearing" in the copper strip seemed bad. Then I "screwed the pooch" taking it apart. Pieces of the impeller are still floating around my storage box.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
JB Weld works on the plastic housings. I have fixed at least one. I started collecting more when I realized I had only one. :unsure:

Right now I am stuck. The relay is having trouble closing. I undid all of the coil connections hopefully there was just a bad connection. It has worked, just not consistently or on the track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
JB Weld works on the plastic housings. I have fixed at least one. I started collecting more when I realized I had only one. :unsure:

Right now I am stuck. The relay is having trouble closing. I undid all of the coil connections hopefully there was just a bad connection. It has worked, just not consistently or on the track.
Hopefully new wiring between the motor and relay will fix everything up. Check and make sure the contacts are clean, and fully closing when the relay is activated. Maybe the hinged plate on the relay is dirty/gummed up a little. Spray the whole relay down good with some CRC Electronic Cleaner or similar. Shouldn't hurt anything. If your relay is only working part of the time, I'm guessing that it is probably just fine, and either the wiring and/or gum & dirt is causing it to work inconsistently.

Scrutinize the wiring on the truck contact rollers very carefully. If the wires have ever been replaced by a previous owner, I have seen some soldering jobs that were less than stellar, to put it politely. And for that matter, I've had to replace ALL my contact roller wiring, as none of the wire insulation was in good shape at all on any of my tender trucks.
Fortunately for me, all my relays worked good on my whistle motors, even though they all were dirty to various degrees. I still cleaned them up, of course.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I am getting continuity between the frame and coil. Plus the top wire broke to within 1/4 inch from the top. All my wires are new but the rollers could use some track time. They got oiled and work fine. No drag.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts