Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like bridges. All kinds of bridges. I’ve always been fascinated by them. I like the engineering that goes into them and I’m often amazed at how beautiful they look…like a work of art. Big, small, truss, trestle, suspension, girder, bascule, arch, covered, stone, concrete, steel, wood, draw, lift, swing, cable stay, viaduct, cantilever.

So let’s see your bridge photos. If you have info on the bridge, please post that as well. Could be a real bridge or one on your layout. Maybe it will give some ideas for folks to model, but I know I’ll enjoy looking at them.

I’ll start off with one of my favorites, the Rockville Bridge between Rockville, PA and Marysville, PA. The Rockville Bridge was built by the PRR from 1900 to 1902 to span the Susquehanna River. It is the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct in the world. It has forty-eight 70 foot spans. Originally it had four tracks, but now has only two main lines. It is currently owned by Norfolk Southern.

2015-08-13-4248.jpg

2015-08-14-4268.jpg

And this is called the subway. It goes under the tracks about a half mile north of the Rockville Bridge.

2015-08-14-4284.jpg

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wooden truss looks to be a scratch build…pretty cool. I’ll bet it took a while to build it. I’m guessing the girder bridge is a kit, but I’ve not seen another like it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
All the bridges are scratch built. The steel bridge is hand riveted and soldered. On page 11 in the general model train discussion forum, I have photos of the construction.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My son Mark and I made this replica of a section of the Rockville Bridge for a history project when he was in 7th grade. It's now part of my storage yard for the shelf layout

n_a (69).jpg

n_a (72).jpg

n_a (70).jpg

Bridges 07 31 14 012.jpg

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This little stone viaduct separates the two sections of Carey's Patch in Ashley PA. A friend wanted some photos, dimensions and stone sizes for a possible project on his layout. I think it was CNJ?
Viaduct 001.jpg

Viaduct 002.jpg

Viaduct 003.jpg

Viaduct 004.jpg

Viaduct 006.jpg

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recall seeing your rendition of the Rockville bridge on another thread...not sure which one. Nice job.

And the little arch bridge reminds me of one that carried the Reading RR Plymouth Branch over a steam near where I grew up. I'll have to get some better shots later in the year when there is less vegetation, but for now this is what I have of it.

2012 06 07 big bridge.jpg

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Here is a bridge across the Meramec river in valley park, mo.
It is a one lane bridge, with double main on either side. This
is BNSF ex Frisco east west track.

This must be a replacement bridge. You can see where the original bridge was.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a bridge across the Meramec river in valley park, mo. It is a one lane bridge, with double main on either side. This must be a replacement bridge. You can see where the original bridge was.
I'm thinking the supports are extra wide to accommodate a second set of spans and a second track. Maybe the second set of spans never got built or maybe they were built and later removed.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a few shots of the old and new route 903 bridges in Jim Thorpe, PA. They span the Lehigh River and the RBMN (former CNJ and LVRR) tracks. The old bridge was built in 1953.

2016-10-15-7182.jpg

2016-10-15-7185.jpg

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I'm thinking the supports are extra wide to accommodate a second set of spans and a second track. Maybe the second set of spans never got built or maybe they were built and later removed.
What you can't see in my pic, because of brush, The supports are made of 2 different materials. The part you can see is cut stone.
The support under the track is concrete. They just widen the supports for the new bridge. I am guessing the cut stone was done
in the 20's and the concrete part done in the 50's.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I was way off. I googled the bridge. Original bridge was built in the 1800s.
This current bridge was opened for traffic in 1923. There was 2 bridges
from 1923 to 1953. In 53 the original bridge was demolished because CTC
came into play.

So it has been a single track bridge on a double track main since 1953.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Delaware River aqueduct between Lackawaxen, PA and New York is another one of my favorites. It was designed by John Roebling for the Delaware and Hudson Canal company. It was used for canal boats from 1851 until 1898 and was converted for highway use around 1900. It is thought to be the oldest standing suspension bridge in the United States.

2014-09-02-3071.jpg

2014-09-02-3072.jpg

2014-07-31-2850.jpg

2014-07-31-2838 crop.jpg

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a better shot of the Reading RR bridge in post #8 (less foliage). When I was a kid in the late 50s, I watched many trains go over this bridge including an occasional steamer. We called it the Big Bridge because there was a Little Bridge nearby that carried our street over the same creek.

IMG_7872.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts