Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about five years ago, postage rates for getting delivery on Ebay went up dramatically. For many small items that I get from US (to Canada) the postage is more expensive that the actual item. And then there is this new import duty. It is not like "the good old days".:mad:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Those shipping rates are often inflated so that their profit margins rise from 10% to 15% or better.

The rationale is that if you win/and want the item, ya gotta pay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some vendors will repackage

I have found a few vendors (but very few) will respond to an email request to 'repackage" the item to reduce postage rates. Most vendors however appear to use some automated system that sets prices etc. That's progress i guess :mad:

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
I just shipped a small package to Canada from the US via First Class International Mail. The price was $4.67 as opposed to shipping the same package in the US for $3.66.

I have no idea if the receiver had to pay additional import duty on it as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
EBay's rates

The way eBay charges global shipping rates is ridiculous as I've talked with people I've sent stuff to overseas and they charge per item. Not if it is all in one package or not. It's a flat fee per item. Example a n scale loco to Australia ebay charges 22$ , I send it to Kentucky for their shipping program and they forward it. Now I've sent multiple items in medium priority box and they charged 22$ for each item even in the same box and this is why people don't like the global shipping system from eBay. It's cheaper to personally mail it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It’s simple. Go to usps and click on international and read the lines it asks for everything and it’ll give ebayers around the world the Chance to buy something without having to pay feebay fees.

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
Simple for you, but when you go through the customs forms, sometimes they ask for stuff that you don't really know how to answer. I tried to send something to Brazil, no soap. I asked the buy in Brazil how he sends stuff the the US, he doesn't, too complicated!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have been selling on eBay for years. I do not sell/ship out of the US. I never quote a shipping rate until I know the shippers zip to always get the correct shipping rate according to box size and weight. This would be USPS Retail Ground with 2-8 days delivery time.
Otherwise the other shipping way is using USPS Priority Mail which has 3 box sizes with fixed rates no matter where within the US it is shipped and a 70 lb limit. This has a 1-2 day delivery time period. I prefer this method because most of the time, the weight and size of the box shipped Retail Ground will exceed the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate method and therefore higher shipping cost.
As you can see, there is no effort to pad the freight charge using USPS Retail Ground since I know the zip of the buyer. When the box size and weight are entered into the USPS calculator, the accurate shipping cost is automatically done for me. When using First Class Mail, there is a 13 oz limit so the most anything can cost is $5.50 from my zip to say California. That charge can be less based on weight too. I have seen cases where the seller has WAY over charged using First Class Mail.
I know that some people do pad shipping charges because I can check what they quote and will call them out on doing that if I am buying something and I know what I will pay for the item then see what the shipping is. Some sellers will have a set shipping cost. They are the ones that pad the shipping for extra profit. Just don't buy.
Bottom line, honest sellers like myself, do not pad. Plus I like my eBay 100% customer satisfaction rating which I have had for many years.
The last thing is, eBay charges sellers a fee based on the whole selling price including the freight!! How is that fair? Sellers like myself take that hit and have no way to recover that cost. On average, eBay takes at least 10% or more. Most of the greed comes from eBay.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the 'import duty' is kinda unfair .....
with the resulting 'duty free' deals in nafta, there really isn't any duty, but there is some GST . not much to be fair, only 5% of declared value, but customs adds on $5.00 to cover some 'processing charge' , and this goes on top of the GST charge...
so you -might- have a $5.30 [Canadian] charge on an item with a 'declared value' of $10 US ..

·
Registered
215 Posts
The way eBay charges global shipping rates is ridiculous as I've talked with people I've sent stuff to overseas and they charge per item. Not if it is all in one package or not. It's a flat fee per item. Example a n scale loco to Australia ebay charges 22$ , I send it to Kentucky for their shipping program and they forward it. Now I've sent multiple items in medium priority box and they charged 22$ for each item even in the same box and this is why people don't like the global shipping system from eBay. It's cheaper to personally mail it.
Its not ridiculous to the seller! The eBay Global Shipping Program is incredibly convenient and the ONLY reason I ship overseas.

I simply don't care what it costs to the buyer. I just don't care at all. If someone is willing to pay - more power to them. It's their money.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been selling on eBay for years. I do not sell/ship out of the US. I never quote a shipping rate until I know the shippers zip to always get the correct shipping rate according to box size and weight. This would be USPS Retail Ground with 2-8 days delivery time.
Otherwise the other shipping way is using USPS Priority Mail which has 3 box sizes with fixed rates no matter where within the US it is shipped and a 70 lb limit. This has a 1-2 day delivery time period. I prefer this method because most of the time, the weight and size of the box shipped Retail Ground will exceed the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate method and therefore higher shipping cost.
As you can see, there is no effort to pad the freight charge using USPS Retail Ground since I know the zip of the buyer. When the box size and weight are entered into the USPS calculator, the accurate shipping cost is automatically done for me. When using First Class Mail, there is a 13 oz limit so the most anything can cost is $5.50 from my zip to say California. That charge can be less based on weight too. I have seen cases where the seller has WAY over charged using First Class Mail.
I know that some people do pad shipping charges because I can check what they quote and will call them out on doing that if I am buying something and I know what I will pay for the item then see what the shipping is. Some sellers will have a set shipping cost. They are the ones that pad the shipping for extra profit. Just don't buy.
Bottom line, honest sellers like myself, do not pad. Plus I like my eBay 100% customer satisfaction rating which I have had for many years.
The last thing is, eBay charges sellers a fee based on the whole selling price including the freight!! How is that fair? Sellers like myself take that hit and have no way to recover that cost. On average, eBay takes at least 10% or more. Most of the greed comes from eBay.
I set up my listings with the eBay calculator to reflect actual USPS Parcel rates using good approximations for box size. I usually have some "dummy" packing material handy - and I weigh the item and the packing.

I use Parcel - since from my east coast location Priority will usually be the same rate - but the farther west the buyer is - the bigger the difference between Parcel and Priority becomes - to the point that showing that Priority rate is going to curb interest from west coast buyers. So most stuff will actually ship Priority - but the listing advertises Parcel ("Economy" I think it's called)

So on the live listing, the buyer will always see the actual cost they will pay for shipping. No special instruction needed.

At worst - you might lose a few cents - but sometimes you make a few cents. I think it all evens out.

And, I have no reason to avoid international sales with the Global Shipping Program. Once you ship it to Kentucky - you are off the hook. Its all on eBay from there. I had an ivory cue ball not make it to a China buyer - no problem. In the end, I kept the sellers cash and eBay refunded his purchase. Nice! I don't care what it costs those buyers - if they want to pay - bring it on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’m not saying I won’t sell because of that. If a customer from somewhere else on eBay asks me if I can ship to them instead of going through the global program I will. It’s just a sellers preference and option. And it usually ends up in a customer service for future sales taking feebay out of the equation. Because we all know ebay has the most viewers and purchasers. And it doesn’t hurt to make new friends around the world to help in the hobby if you need something from their part of the world. IMO

·
Registered
181 Posts
Shipping costs

Some buyers do not realize that eBay charges 10% even on shipping costs and PayPal takes about 3% on top of that so a seller might take that into account when posting shipping charges. Long ago eBay didn't charge anything on shipping and some sold an item worth a lot more then a few dollars for a lot less but charged very high shipping cost so they could save on fees. Now we pay 10% on shipping because of their actions. Old fardt in Yuma

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Well, I don't put much thought into the postage rates myself. I figure its just part of the cost - I look at what the item costs at my door - total cost. I once bought a diecast car I wanted on Amazon, from an associate seller. Price was a penny. Shipping and handling were $24.95. Okay fine, I wanted it so . . .

·
Registered
650 Posts
I used to be an ebay SUPER SELLER. This was back some years ago. I never got a negative feedback. I tried to be fair and I usually lost money on postage. In fact, I even had times when the buyer felt so bad he sent me more money after the item arrived. Yup, there are some awesome people out there.

But today making money on ebay is more geared toward new products. The competition for used merchandise is so fierce it just doesn't pay FOR ME anymore. It was that one could make enough on the sale to cover the loss in postage, but it's not so for most things today.

Now (like stated above) sellers pad postage hoping to make a decent profit. ebay knows this and that's why postage is included in the selling price for ebay seller charges.

ebay is tough today and I feel for people who have to do it to put food on the table. I did selling just as a hobby. It was fun and I got to handle some really great items (shipwreck artifacts, Spanish coins/cobs, model railroad goodies, etc, etc..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some buyers do not realize that eBay charges 10% even on shipping costs and PayPal takes about 3% on top of that so a seller might take that into account when posting shipping charges. Long ago eBay didn't charge anything on shipping and some sold an item worth a lot more then a few dollars for a lot less but charged very high shipping cost so they could save on fees. Now we pay 10% on shipping because of their actions. Old fardt in Yuma
Consider it an incentive not to gouge on shipping?

I wonder - does eBay apply that same percentage to the "Handling" charge? - (which not every seller uses)

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
Consider it an incentive not to gouge on shipping?

I wonder - does eBay apply that same percentage to the "Handling" charge? - (which not every seller uses)
eBay marks up everything about the sale, the "final value fee" is on the total you collect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts