Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mod Edit: Moved to new topic

I was floored by the difference in price, what can explain going from less than $4 to over $15 for a 12 oz package? ...
How can you ship a package for $4? I priced a 16 oz package on the USPS site and the cheapest option was $8.

·
Admin
43,198 Posts
How can you ship a package for $4? I priced a 16 oz package on the USPS site and the cheapest option was $8.
I ship anything under 15oz for from around $2.60 to 4.00 First Class Mail. If you go to the USPS site, they don't offer the ability to print First Class Packages. However, if you PayPal Shipnow, they do allow you to print first class postage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Big difference between 15 oz. and 16 oz with USPS. The 15 oz. can go First Class at the rates GRJ showed; the 16 oz. cannot.

A nice feature of the 15 oz. First Class package is that it comes with USPS tracking.

My browser may be causing me problems because I was unable to open John's PayPal link. Here is the web address for using PayPal shipping to create your own USPS postage label, including First Class:

paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

While you can't print this 1st class postage from USPS, can you get the lower 1st class rate for a package under 16 oz at a post office? Of is it a special PayPal rate?

·
Registered
655 Posts
You can get the first class package rate at the Post Office, they just don't allow it online.

I'm guessing that is because of people cheating the system and sending things first class that are over the limit.

·
Admin
43,198 Posts
That doesn't make all that much sense as you could do the same thing with Priority mail weights. Also, virtually all commercial entities have the ability to print First Class postage, so it's not like it's that restricted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts