Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1945 Lionel catalog (the 4 page folder) has one catalogued set, 463W. The photograph shows a 2755 tank car. But the description says 2555 tank car.

Can anyone tell me which tank car was actually in the set? Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I believe it actually came with the 2755. Lionel still had some pre war decals I guess and wanted to use them up but the lettering is on opposite sides vs the pre war car. Post war will have the Sunoco diamond on the left side and a real one will have whirly wheels and flying shoe trucks.
This is one I made. You can turn any metal tank car into another by simply repainting, decaling, and adding or subtracting the detail parts and trucks. One of the few you can actually restore without having to resort to heat stamping or rubber stamping.
This car does have the correct trucks.

Transport Rolling stock Railroad car Vehicle Train

Pete

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You mean it was actually decaled 2755 and you put on 2555?
Not a huge deal though. Stripper, a bit of paint and another set of decals or just remove the decal if it hasn't been clear coated.

Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean it was actually decaled 2755 and you put on 2555?
Not a huge deal though. Stripper, a bit of paint and another set of decals or just remove the decal if it hasn't been clear coated.

Pete
Pete,

No, it was originally a 2555. But if I had known better, I'd have made it a 2755. I think I'll get another tank car for a 2755. This one turned out so nice, I'd hate to undo it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pete,

Thanks for posting these photos. Man, you did a nice job on them. I really like those 2855's. Yikes, I'm catching some kind of contagious "tank car bug".

Anyway, for early postwar, these are particularly nice cars, with an almost scale look to them. My 2555 looks at home next to any of my modern tank cars.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for posting these photos. Man, you did a nice job on them. I really like those 2855's. Yikes, I'm catching some kind of contagious "tank car bug".

Anyway, for early postwar, these are particularly nice cars, with an almost scale look to them. My 2555 looks at home next to any of my modern tank cars.
Thank you. They were all painted with Testors rattle can. Gray, silver, and black. As you probably know the decals are from Lou Palumbo's Underground Train Shop.
The fit right in with other manufacturers 8000 gallon tank cars.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts