Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a postwar Lionel hudson engine and tender at auction. The tender whistle was frozen. I took it all apart, cleaned the electrical components and lubed the moving parts. It whistles like a charm now when it is upside down or on its side, but won’t whistle when it is upright. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
How is the spacing between the relay contact fingers? It sounds like the relay coil doesn't have enough oomph to pull the contact fingers together when vertical since gravity isn't on your side in that position. Perhaps tightening up the gap some there would help. Does it work any better with the voltage turned up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tightened the distance between the contacts with no result. I tightened them again, probably too much, and now it doesn’t work at all. Probably need to replace the “solenoid” if that is the right name for it. Any more thoughts. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
648 Posts
With power off, bend each contact on the relay until they are straight. Push the bottom of the relay up with your finger and let go. Does it move smoothly up and drop down smoothly? Do the contacts meet square in the up position? Do they separate in the down position?
The relay must work like stated for it to power the whistle motor.

If the relay and whistle motor are OK and the tender still does not whistle, you may have a bad whistle rectifier in your transformer.

Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To verify Larry's last statement, have you tried any other whistle tenders on the same track? That'd be an easy way to perhaps rule out the transformer rectifier.
Thanks for all the helpful comments. As a rookie at this, I an half ashamed to tell you what the problem was. I continued looking on the forum and found out that there was a bearingunder the commutator that needed to be lubricated. I did that, readjusted the contacts and lo and behold, it works. Evidently when it was upside down, it took the pressure off the bearing. Turn it right side up and the weight of the motor was too much for it to run. It has been an educational experience.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Troubleshooting/fixing is half the fun with the postwar stuff. Congratulations on finding the problem. That bearing is often forgotten when people service those motors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts