Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase a power supply for my HO KATO remote switches. What is the recommended voltage/ amps. Really don't want to destroy motors with too much of either.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi Marv, you can use the accessory power right off your Kato power pack. It's 12 VDC.

If you don't like that, or don't have that, you can use any small 12 VDC supply. Using a CDU to power your switches is recommended. :)
The current is determined by the resistance of the switch machine coil, not the capacity of power supply. Any 12V supply will deliver 0.6 A
into a 20 ohm load ( think that's about the resistance of the Kato coil), no matter how big the power supply (you could use your car battery).
Burning out a coil is caused by holding the button down too long. :mad: The CDU will prevent this from happening.
The Kato 24-840 switch controller will snap on to the side of your power pack, and incorporates a pulsed switch which won't burn out the
coil. They are about $10 each and will stack. It's easy peasy. Some folks like em, some don't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Not using a KATO power pack. Digitrax DCC, so I need a dedicated power supply for the switches. Controlling the switches with momentary on, off, on. Sounds like I overthought what was needed.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Just buy a 12V, 60W wall wart. That will be more than enough, unless you have a ton of switch machines to power.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm using Kato HO Unitrack.

For the Kato remote-contol switches, I control them with the Kato 24-840 switch levers, which snap together side-by-side. Using the 24-841 extension cords makes connections (to the switches) easy.

For power, I have the Kato 24-842 ac/dc converter connected to the leftmost switch control lever.

For a power source, I used an OLD Model Rectifier power pack going back to the 1970's that had been in storage for more than 40 years. I tap the 15v ac "accessory" output on the power pack and run it to the Kato 24-842.

Works great.
The power pack isn't used for train control (I use dcc) -- it's just there to supply power for the switches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That little blue box on the left side of the controllers in the first pic is the bridge rectifier that converts AC to DC so you can run the turnouts off of your AC output on your power pack

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Just buy a 12V, 60W wall wart. That will be more than enough, unless you have a ton of switch machines to power.
CTValley;

A Sixty Watt wall wart? That sounds more like one of those storage battery power walls, than a wall wart! 😄
(Says the guy who answered all those 9-year old posts! :confused: )

Traction Fan

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
12v, 5 amps. That runs 42 servos and activating swiches, 5 Octo III controllers, and a half a dozen lighted structure with capacity to add more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts