Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering....I am transitioning from G gauge to O. All of my G locos are MTH. I use a 20 amp dc power supply with the MTH DCS system. Is there any chance that I could use this set up with my O gauge stuff?

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The device will only draw from the power supply what it requires. Unlike voltage, more current is usually a good thing.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
I agree. As long as the output voltage is correct, there should not be any issue.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You might consider some circuit breaker protection. I would not want to have a small short suddenly take 20 amps and start welding things. You could divide that track into separate power power management sections and use a digitrax (or other type) BXP88 electronic circuit breaker for better protection.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yes, I'm with Lemonhawk. If the voltage is within parameters, but the supplied amperage is going to exceed the tolerance of the components (as they are engineered to withstand), and you would rather spend $60 on a circuit protector than to replace many hundreds of dollars worth of electricals,..................................................................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have an online fuse directly coming out of the power supply before it goes into the TIU.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't sure if the DC power supply would somehow convert the power through the TIU for be to be able to run my Lionel and other future O gauge. I guess that's how I should have worded my original question.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The problem is that a single fuse will not protect much of anything due to it needing to also be a large amperage and it reacts way to slow. Hence the need for some electronic circuit breakers for blocks. I think using the power supply is fine, but I would use the fuse to protect the power to the system controller and then protect the rail power with the electronic type breakers. You should do this in any case no matter what power supply your using in hopes that a short will no take out the locomotive electronics!

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Most 0 gauge trains run on AC from a transformer. The 20 amp DC power supply would
not be usable for that track power. However, you mention the MTH system that you
used with your G scale trains. Do you plan on using it with () scale MTH locos thus
utilitzing the 20 AMP supply?

Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most 0 gauge trains run on AC from a transformer. The 20 amp DC power supply would
not be usable for that track power. However, you mention the MTH system that you
used with your G scale trains. Do you plan on using it with () scale MTH locos thus
utilitzing the 20 AMP supply?

Don
Yes, I would like to run MTH at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts