Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to dcc. I have a Digitrak Zephyr. Where do I tie in my ac accessories to this controller? I have a Kato 24-844 to power. Says connect to AC 17v output. No AC connectors on the Digitrak. Do I tie into the track feed or what am I missing??

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I am brand new to dcc. I have a Digitrak Zephyr. Where do I tie in my ac accessories to this controller? I have a Kato 24-844 to power. Says connect to AC 17v output. No AC connectors on the Digitrak. Do I tie into the track feed or what am I missing??
Mguistolise;

You can't POWER accessories, whether AC or DC, from any DCC system. The accessories should be powered by their own, separate power supply. This can be an old DC/AC power pack, or one of those little black "wall wart" plug-in power supplies that LOOK LIKE those used to charge a cell phone, but are the type with an AC output, rather than the more common DC types like actual phone chargers. If you must have AC for your Kato 24-844, whatever that is, then you could also use a common doorbell transformer. They reduce 120 volt AC house current to about 16 volts AC on their output terminals. I've got a whole box full of the things and you can have one for the price of shipping if you want.

It is possible to CONTROL accessories with a DCC system, but to do that, you use a device called a DCC "stationary decoder." Like the decoder inside a DCC locomotive, a stationary decoder receives digital signals addressed to it from your Digitrax DCC system. It then sends out the appropriate AC or DC voltage to the accessory, to make it work. Some stationary decoders can operate more than one accessory. Check the Digitrax website for stationary decoders. It may be that with such a decoder, you won't need the separate transformer, wall wart, or power pack. The stationary decoder itself may provide the necessary output voltage.
The attached file has some more info on wiring and DCC. There is also an excellent book available that can help you. It's called "Basic DCC wiring" by Mike Polsgrove. You can order a copy from Kalmbach Hobby Store or from www.amazon.com

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I use the doorbell transmitter, would I just cut the end off and hook it to a terminal block?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
You can run LED's from the track buss on a DCC system. I have several Viessmann signal lamps running on AC track power. They use a resistor on one leg and a diode on the other. I also have a few buildings lit from the track buss.

Other signals and scenery lighting is on a separate P/S.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kato 24-844 is designed to run off the 12VDC accessories connector on the side of the Kato power pack.
Using a 24-829 adapter. I can't see where it can use 17VAC. But I've seen stranger things.
Your best bet, like TF said, is to just get a 12VDC wall wart.
And welcome to the forum, Mguistolise!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
If I use the doorbell transmitter, would I just cut the end off and hook it to a terminal block?
Mguisolise;

Not a doorbell "transmitter". That would be one of those little battery-operated wireless button gadgets used with some modern doorbells. What I suggested was an old school doorbell "transformer."( I think that's what you mean in your question above too.)
The transformer needs to be connected to a power cord that can be plugged into a 120 volt AC household power outlet. That's the input side which has two wires that need to be connected to the power cord. (NOTE: if you decide you need a transformer from me, I can send it with power cord attached.)
However, in light of cid's response above, concerning 12 volts DC from your Kato power pack, or a common wall wart, you may not need the doorbell transformer at all. If you do, the 16 volt AC output side of the transformer has two screw terminals.

Traction Fan :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts