Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lost is found!! I found my slot track set today. Turns out it is a 1970 Tyco set. I got the date from the instruction manual with it. I was going to take pictures of it along with my Erector set to post tonight. Well, I didn't realize my cell battery was down to 10% until I tried to take pictures. I hadn't had it on the charger since early this morning and had taken several pictures of cars to post, so not paying attention. No matter I thought, I'll just get the Nikon. Not so fast Sport. It was dead too. Must not have been my day for charged batteries. Tomorrow. I hope.
By the way, that Erector set looks new, never assembled in anyway after I examined the painted pieces. I don't know why it is in a cardboard box and not the correct Gilbert metal box.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sounds like it was your day for discharged batteries. We will await the recharged pictures. I assume you know the year of the Erector set or at least have the manual. Some Erector sets were in cardboard boxes but I think that started in 1961.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it was your day for discharged batteries. We will await the recharged pictures. I assume you know the year of the Erector set or at least have the manual. Some Erector sets were in cardboard boxes but I think that started in 1961.
Sorry I don't know the year or have any paper work. This was in a plain cardboard box. Likely reboxed by whoever had it before I got it. All I know for sure is, my late wife found it at a garage sale. I will post that picture now. I have to re-take the slot car track manual pictures. The rest of them were fine but I got a shadow in the picture from the way I was sitting with the light sort of to the right and a little behind me.

Kenny

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is the Erector set as promised. I moved the set to a beer flat for a better picture. I thought there was a motor but there isn't. That blue piece is a plastic housing with no ID marks. It is a 2 piece item.
Kenny

5-11-20 020.jpg

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
There is a nylon gear in the box, could be from a broken DC3 motor. The blue plastic item is key. It was first used in the 1963 Master Builder set, the introduction of the Type 3 Erector Sets. That is not what you have. It is possible it is a 1967 #30 set or one of the newer variations made through the 1970's.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom I saw the gear and never thought much about it. I just know what you see is what my late wife brought home, I looked it over then stuck it away many years ago. That's where it will now go again. Thanks for your insight as to what it is or isn't.

Kenny

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the Tyco slot car set. As I said, the manual is dated 1970.

Kenny

5-12-20 013.jpg
5-11-20 050.jpg

Kenny

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom yes that could be a bad sign. I've been tempted to set the track up and see if it will run. The track does have some light rust on some of the pieces but no big deal there. The bad part is, I have no space big enough to set it up except my basement on a cold, hard painted cement floor where my train layout is. The old bones wouldn't like it. If I tried to set it up in my warm, soft, carpeted living room, my dog would surly want to play too.
My oldest younger brother and I were given an Aurora set one year for Christmas. As with other toys from my kid days, I haven't a clue what become of that race set.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
It is possible to "test" the set without assembling the entire track. I have been known to do tests on the dining room table.
I only received one race set as a gift, it was the Authentic Model Turnpike, AMT, in 1/24th scale. It is very big. I still have it along with additional sets and separate sale items I collected over the years. There always seemed to be something at York. It has been 10 years since I set it up. One day I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is possible to "test" the set without assembling the entire track. I have been known to do tests on the dining room table.
I only received one race set as a gift, it was the Authentic Model Turnpike, AMT, in 1/24th scale. It is very big. I still have it along with additional sets and separate sale items I collected over the years. There always seemed to be something at York. It has been 10 years since I set it up. One day I will post some pictures.
Ah Ha!! An excellent idea! I have a good sized beautiful 100 year old dining room table that my late wife acquired that would work perfectly. Of course were she here that wouldn't happen. I'd be back to the basement cold floor. Thanks for the idea Tom! Now to find time to get it done.
I've only seen on 1/24th set and it was in set up in a hobby store. Loved the size. It was an AMT but I don't know which one. It was impressive.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The race track will not harm the table, no worries.
There is only one AMT set, made only in 1962. There were two versions that came in the same (large) box. One had 2 cars and 2 controllers, the other had one of each.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The race track will not harm the table, no worries.
There is only one AMT set, made only in 1962. There were two versions that came in the same (large) box. One had 2 cars and 2 controllers, the other had one of each.
I really never investigated those 1/24th AMT sets. The one that was set up in the hobby store was more for show and sale of 1/24th cars I since I saw the owner put cars on the track for possible buyers. He did tell me he had sold some sets as well but sold more cars than sets. I don't remember how many years that track was set up in the store. At the same time, there was a place to race those cars on a very large track. They held regularly scheduled races there. I went once and couldn't believe the speed those cars had. Plus it seemed as though everybody had spare tires and gear sets with them. It looked like a mini real life pit area. Way too much money for something that small. To each there own. I was, after all, drag racing. Talk about money as I just was.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I know I have 2 small Tyco sets. And one large. I probably bought the 2nd set years later to get extra track, extra controllers, and extra cars. I have a few different brands of slot sets. I liked the Tyco better. It did not take long for me to realize I needed 2 transformers. One for each lane. Using one transformer, all you had to do was let off on your car, and all power went to the guy you were racing and he would wreck. Worked every time. 2 transformers gave you all the power you could control, so you had a transformer for each lane.. I should have plenty of cars to put a couple race ready.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The AMT Turnpike sets used a trolley that rode down inside the track for power and steering pickup, the car snapped onto the trolley. That meant the AMT cars only worked on AMT Turnpike track. Beginning in 1963 AMT modified the unsold cars at the factory to install a slot blade with sliding pickups so those AMT cars could race on standard track found on the hobby shop race tracks. The modified cars had a special sticker on the packaging. I wonder if the store was selling those cars.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know what the shop owner was selling. I knew nothing about anything other than I liked the size. Since I wasn't planning on buy anything, I didn't investigate. Back in those days I would buy a Flyer piece when I ran across it. I wasn't actively collecting AF then but would buy when I found something. Planning for the future. Looking back I should have been more into it. The AF set I got for Christmas in 1954 was long ago packed away, or so I thought, by then. Mainly I was trying to learn how to drag race successfully.

Kenny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts