Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
T-man, very cool, I never seen one. Can't wait to see how it turns out. great pictures as always. That's a pretty serious gear!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have no idea what this is underneath the frame. It was not listed under the Olsen Page either.
that is the clamp to hold the crane down onto the track when stationary. normally it is folded up and held by the little brass piece but when using the crane you would lower it and clamp it to the track.

i worked on one of these. make absolutely sure you replace the gear/shaft part that is captive in the lower part of the boom. mine looked fine but gave out after using the crane a few times. and replacing that gear/shaft requires dismantling the entire crane, including the boom.

when finished, you will find the crane is quite strong. mine can easily lift a prewar tin boxcar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The gear.
that's it. i'd replace it if i were you.

mine looked fine but developed cracks along the shaft that eventually spread into the squared ends. after the squared ends cracked, the boom wouldn't lift as it's the squared ends that hold it up.

this part is made of lionel 'mystery metal alloy', not meant to last 70+ years.

there was a guy on ebay that was selling machined steel replacement parts, that's where i got mine. i vaguely remember it being expensive but it was worth it, a perfect replacement. i think it is part # 810-20.

i used gun blueing to darken the shiney steel replacement so it looks dark like the original.

and i have the original part as a prop in the 'machine yard' part of my layout.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
The tinplate looks super shiny, T. Nice work. You've got a little gem there ... no dents, dings ... this is going to be a beauty repainted!

TJ

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
Looks brand new, easy off is easy ain't it! The tabs look to be in excellent shape also. Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,219 Posts
Nice find T, Alien green? :D:thumbsup:

No epoxy needed too. :D

Maybe some custom fabricated LED work spot lights mounted on it?
A blinking strobe light on top?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
SantaFe,

Awesome video! The soundtrack alone is well worth it ... love those steam piston / whistle / hissing sounds!!!

TJ

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
SantaFe,

Awesome video! The soundtrack alone is well worth it ... love those steam piston / whistle / hissing sounds!!!

TJ

It's awesome to see it operating in person. I just started volunteering there, and there is a slight chance that I might be helping out with the crane in a couple weeks. Depends on what's going on crew wise. I just do what they tell me to do :laugh:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts