Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Beautiful, but out of my league. However, there could be a little gem lurking under the cruddy exterior of the little 302. I've come across a lot worse.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Scroll through the pictures, there is one of the underside of the engines. The trucks are 2 axle plus a sliding pickup shoe on the truck frame.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thank you for the answer. If I recognize those correctly as Alco PA-1s, they were built with 3-axle trucks. If they are PA-1s, then the modeler of those took some license to apparently allow them to negotiate tighter curves by having only 2 axles per truck. I believe the FA-1s had 2-axle trucks, but did they pull passenger trains? These appear to me to have the longer PA nose, and the truck side frames have castings for three axle bearings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Gilbert made PA-1's and PB-1's. They did not make any FA's. The PA's were sold with both passenger and freight consists. The truck sideframes model a 3 axle truck which is prototypically correct. The Gilbert PA-1 engines had only 2 axles. I think back in 1950 two axles were used for cost and power train design reasons. These are correctly scaled models and run on 20" radius track.
American Models now makes PA's and FA's. The AM PA-1's have three axles and negotiate 20" radius curves. They can be purchased with either scale or high rail wheels.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Tom, thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. The PA/FAs are my favorite diesels and I'm grateful to learn more about them. I model in N scale and have 2 Kato PAs and a dummy PB in D&RG livery...beautiful!!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Pics for Fire21

I also like PAs and F units. Here are a few pics.

First is a Mopac PA A-B-A set. Not the 7,000.00 set. These are
reproductions of the original. S scale. Much cheaper in price.

IMG_0384.JPG

Next is a Southern Pacific train led by A-B-A PA set.

IMG_0402.JPG

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
The next 2 pics are O scale I have.

Got this UP A-B-A PA set from forum member here.

IMG_0552.JPG

I also got this FT A-B Santa Fe set from a forum member here.
The FT was the first F units. Even before the F3s.

IMG_0456.JPG

Both of these are Lionel.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Oh, be still my heart! Those are gorgeous!! :appl:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I see our other S gauges have already posted some fantastic pictures. Here are two I just took on the layout. The first is the American Models PA-1 in PRR livery. Behind it is an AM E8 in PRR livery.
The second picture is a closeup of an AM E8 in UP livery, behind it is an S gauge U33c made by Lionel for American Flyer.
I will post a picture of the S gauge FA’s later.

2F458ECF-CA9B-443F-80B9-27B07DE66D51.jpg

9D29D4BB-3449-4F4A-B76F-28AEAEAB62E9.jpg

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Agree with Broke, really really nice. :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Looking at MoPac's O gauge pictures reminds me of the extra detail Lionel puts on the O gauge engines than on their S gauge products. Unfortunately Lionel is now using the swiveling pilots on some of their S gauge diesels rather than the wide cutout Gilbert used. A fixed pilot with a removable coupler and insert as AM does is a better solution to the clearance issue.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Tom, I am not fond of the pilots swinging out. Those O scale engines run about
100 times better than the S scale Lionel locomotives. Both have sound and they run so
smooth. Well the S have sound also, in the B units. All have bells. The UP units have motorized
fans on top. Kinda cool.

Your engines look great. Love the E8.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
These are some great looking engines Mopac and Tom, thanks for the pictures. I prefer the PA's over any other diesels, just a classic design I.M.O.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts