Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip around Scotland we toured Dunrobin Castle in Golspie. An incredible place to visit. In the children's play room there was a train set so I asked the guard about it. He said they were Hornby and was absolutely sure the green locomotive belonged to Princess Anne, but had no idea who the black locomotive belonged to. A bit remarkable that Princess Anne would have an interest in trains and Prince Charles lack thereof (unless the black one is his but seems like the guard would have known that if it was...or maybe his interest was/is still keen and he kept his set). Could not get very close but took a couple of pictures with my phone. They appeared to be about O (or S gauge) in size with 3 rail track so though I would post here for anyone interested. I was unfamiliar with Hornby until seeing these (am an American Flyer S scale guy).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hornby did produce three rail o gauge and the pics look about right for that.

Interesting setup with the freight wagons and all. The track doesn’t look like it assembled very well. Just for looks at that point!

I like the transformer mounted at the end of the siding. Cool design.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the pictures , have seen some on auction site and just did a search there 600 plus listings in from UK, Aus, etc.
Always did like the Hogwarths engine stye.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The engines are postwar, given the British Rail emblem on the tanks. The pacific locomotive is missing the front and trailing trucks.

Well played with!

Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi all.
They are all Hornby Dublo models so 3-rail 12v DC to 4mm/foot scale so run on 16.5mm track same as Ho.
As mentioned they have British Rail markings so date from post 1948 to the early 1960's when Hornby finished producing 3-rail models.
The tank loco should also have front & rear trucks !
Hope this helps. Colin.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Anne (15 Aug '50) and Charles (14 Nov '48) are less than 2 years apart. It's highly likely that the black Hornby is indeed The Prince of Wales ('59) childhood train... used primarily before he attended Hill House PS, and subsequently Cheam PS.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The black tank loco is a Standard class 4 80054 and was available in the shops in November 1954.
According to my reference book the first batch was 100,000 which seems a little high !
This may be why they are fairly common today.
Colin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all.
They are all Hornby Dublo models so 3-rail 12v DC to 4mm/foot scale so run on 16.5mm track same as Ho.
As mentioned they have British Rail markings so date from post 1948 to the early 1960's when Hornby finished producing 3-rail models.
The tank loco should also have front & rear trucks !
Hope this helps. Colin.
Interesting, so these are then 'OO' scale which also had 3 rail system at some period? They did look more like S scale in size (and too big for HO) when I saw them and a bit small for 'O' scale. With 'OO' being between S and HO scales this makes sense. The 3 rail track led me to associate them with the larger O scale. Guard put them as from the mid to late 50's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hornby and Trix used the 3-rail system until the late 50's or early 60's - the mid to late 50's is correct for the 80054 tank loco and also for the "Duchess" pacific. I cannot make out the name on the pacific so cannot give a date for production but it was made for many years. Probably "Duchess of Montrose" which was a 50's loco .
Hornby Dublo always used DC supply for 3-rail and their 2-rail systems.
00 scale was used in Britain because the locomotives if produced for H0 scale were too small for the motors available at the time so the scale was increased to 4mm/foot but because British locos are smaller than other locos they do not look much bigger than the equivalent H0 scale loco.
Colin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts