Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small one anyway... On O36 track the car behind it keeps derailing. I assume the answer is a die cast car or at least something with more weight to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Or possibly a greater swing of the coupler assembly. Some of the modern freight cars have couplers that will swing from edge to edge of the freight car.

The Weaver scale RS-3 was terrible, the coupler hardly would move from side to side without cutting a larger hole in the cowl.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's the legacy S-2, they were made with body mounted couplers. I have one in CNW. Look onthe box label for the minimum curve requirement. Might not be enough swing for such a tight radius. Adding weight to the freight car won't help as the engine is literally pushing the car towards the outer rail.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the Lionel website - Min Curve: O-31

I'll add some weight and see if it loosens up...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Does the engine derail? Or just the car?

Tom

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just the car. Very lightweight all plastic...

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
Look at the centering spring, sometimes the coupler doesn't want to move cleanly in one or both directions. If there's any force in moving it to the side, it'll pull a light car off the rails. The cure is either free up the coupler or use a heavier car for right behind the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts