Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a Lionel Steel Legacy Gantry Crane (82022) that does not travel smoothly on the on my Gargraves 5 rail track. The drive wheel turns (the "traction tire" is present) but the crane moves in jerks. If I apply downward pressure on the top of the structure (fingers on either side of the cab) it moves fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm thinking that some sort of weight glued beneath the cab frame/structure might solve the problem but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem and solved it.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello All,

I have a Lionel Steel Legacy Gantry Crane (82022) that does not travel smoothly on the on my Gargraves 5 rail track. The drive wheel turns (the "traction tire" is present) but the crane moves in jerks. If I apply downward pressure on the top of the structure (fingers on either side of the cab) it moves fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm thinking that some sort of weight glued beneath the cab frame/structure might solve the problem but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem and solved it.

Thanks.

Bob
Yes, and the fix is you guessed it, adding ballast weight over the driven leg side to ensure pressure is on that leg and the drive wheel. I hot glued a bunch of heavy metal nuts from my hardware pile.

A limitation of the one wheel drive. It's a great accessory and very innovative, but then you quickly figured out, between just how it sits and especially crane position and load, that drive wheel can be in a spot with no grip at all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, and the fix is you guessed it, adding ballast weight over the driven leg side to ensure pressure is on that leg and the drive wheel. I hot glued a bunch of heavy metal nuts from my hardware pile.

A limitation of the one wheel drive. It's a great accessory and very innovative, but then you quickly figured out, between just how it sits and especially crane position and load, that drive wheel can be in a spot with no grip at all.
Also, you really want the matching sound house. If you are going command with the action, you gotta have the sounds.

Another suggestion, I added an LED on the boom to turn on when the magnet is on.
Just a good way to both know when the magnet is on, and also adds useful illumination when working.

Not my videos, but nice videos.

With sound work house.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Jetguy. I laid a 6" x 1/2" bolt with its nut on the top of the platform and the crane ran back and forth fine. Now I just have to raid the "assorted bolts" coffee can to find enough nuts to hide under the structure. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you, Jetguy. I laid a 6" x 1/2" bolt with its nut on the top of the platform and the crane ran back and forth fine. Now I just have to raid the "assorted bolts" coffee can to find enough nuts to hide under the structure. :)
FWIW, I had forgotten all that I had done on my crane. Yes, I added both weight under the cab roof of the actual crane itself, to better counterbalance the crane on it's own slewing pivot system and also, then added massive weight under the base of the crane between the motor gearbox assembly and the leg frames on the motor drive leg side. Hot glue worked well to secure the various nuts bolts and lead weights I had gathered. You cannot see any of the weights unless you open up the crane cab or flip the entire crane upside down to see the ones buried in the motor area.

Again, part 2 of that mod, was since the cab was off the crane, I added a simple warm white prewired LED (with resistor and second blocking diode) to the boom of the crane, facing downward at an angle 3/4 of the way out on the boom with the wiring laced down the middle space next to the magnet power wire. Inside the cab are the points where you can splice in the LED to the magnet power source of the slip ring setup on the slew pivot point.
It's really useful to both see just with the light shining down on where you are trying to pick up the load and also, as an indicator of magnet ON/OFF status from further away since you are using remote control. You don't want to accidentally leave the magnet on for long periods of time.;)

I wish both these modifications were just how the factory shipped the crane in the first place. Doesn't add a lot of cost but makes it so much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts