Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this Loco for Christmas to run around my den on a shelf. The loco runs, however it does not make smoke as advertised, despite what position the smoke unit switch is in. The whistle also does not work properly. When I activate the whistle lever on the transformer (type 4090) the locomotive speeds up and the light gets brighter, but the whistle does not blow. Well not all the time. I have heard a sound once or twice, but it sounds more like a diesel horn not a whistle. Should I take it to the local shop and see about repair?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think you have the wrong transformer,you need a newer electronic type transformer ,like the CW-80 or something new enough to run your loco properly

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
To genearate smake the throttle has ti be fast for examole 3/4 ths. 4 to 6 drops any more and you flood it. You did use fluid? You never said, but it is relevant to the problem.

T man your slurring your spelling.:D

I thought they recommend 8 to 10 drops for a brand new engine?
Then after that less.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I had about 5-7 drops of fluid, I have to watch the speed though this is on a shelf.
Was it a brand new engine? You sure?

If not you can burn the smoke unit up if you run it switched to on with no fluid in it. Maybe someone ran it dry?

Do you have any track to make an oval on the floor to let it fly?
To run it faster to test the smoke unit.

Your problem might be not enough power to get the smoker hot to produce the smoke.
Or someone burned the unit up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the smoke fluid filled appropriately and the smoke switch turned on, put the train in neutral and adjust throttle to full power for a little while. This should allow the smoke unit to heat up to the temperature it needs to to create smoke. Then, take it around at your normal speed. You should see the smoke, at least for a little while. If you do see the smoke, then it is the speed/power you are running that is the reason you are not seeing it. If not, your smoke unit could be bad.

You also may want to try a different brand of smoke fluid also, I got better results with Megasteam than I did with the lionel smoke fluid. It seems to produce more smoke at slower speeds.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the smoke fluid filled appropriately and the smoke switch turned on, put the train in neutral and adjust throttle to full power for a little while. This should allow the smoke unit to heat up to the temperature it needs to to create smoke. Then, take it around at your normal speed. You should see the smoke, at least for a little while. If you do see the smoke, then it is the speed/power you are running that is the reason you are not seeing it. If not, your smoke unit could be bad.

You also may want to try a different brand of smoke fluid also, I got better results with Megasteam than I did with the lionel smoke fluid. It seems to produce more smoke at slower speeds.
according to Lionel's web site turning up the voltage in neutral will not heat up the smoke unit, only when the train is moving.

·
Registered
993 Posts
you said you are using a type 4090 transformer? doesn't that one have two levers,one black,and one orange\red?

isn't this a fairly new locomotive & tender?

did you buy a complete set R-T-R, or sometning you are putting toghter,like most of us do? just trying to help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have a type 4090 transformer. It came with two red levers, one marked throttle, and the other marked direction/ whistle. The loco is a fairly new model the way I understand it. Lastly, it is something I am piecing together.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Was it a brand new engine? You sure?

If not you can burn the smoke unit up if you run it switched to on with no fluid in it. Maybe someone ran it dry?

To run it faster to test the smoke unit.

Your problem might be not enough power to get the smoker hot to produce the smoke.
Or someone burned the unit up.
you said you are using a type 4090 transformer? doesn't that one have two levers,one black,and one orange\red?

isn't this a fairly new locomotive & tender?

did you buy a complete set R-T-R, or sometning you are putting toghter,like most of us do? just trying to help.

I am left wondering..........Only trying to help too, but my questions remain unanswered.:confused:

Got it off e bay is not saying it is brand new.
Maybe someone tried running it with the smoker on and burned it up.
So they said sell it...........and listed it as brand new unused.

Oh well.....:eek:hwell:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
the unit was still sealed

One question answered.

How about,
To run it faster to test the smoke unit?

Maybe it needs to go to make the smoke?
You said you can't run it fast on the shelf.

·
Registered
45 Posts
according to Lionel's web site turning up the voltage in neutral will not heat up the smoke unit, only when the train is moving.
I have 2 newer lionel steam engines. The polar express, and 6-30173-E
Santa Fe 0-8-0 engine. I can put them in neutral with voltage cranked up and they do create smoke. It will not visibly come out of the smokestack but if you look inside, you can see it. The movement of the train is what makes it come out. So, if I let it 'warm up' in neutral and then proceed to go forward, it will start smoking very well, even at slow speeds, until it cools down again.

I am not sure if this is the case for all Lionel engines, and I don't own any legacy engines so I am not sure about those. You could try it out though, as long as you have smoke fluid in it, it should not hurt anything.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can run it up to about 3/4 throttle, just not full speed. The shelf is only 4" wide, so I had to run the edge to clear the walls at the corner. The train runs smoothly. I guess the smoke unit could be burnt up, the switch is not marked, and the owners manual does not state which direction it has to be in to be on or off. I had to find the info on the lionel website. the switches on the tender are clearly marked, but not the smoke unit switch. I am not sure which direction it was in when I first started running right out of the box, and since smoke was the last of my worries at the time I didn't bother to check.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My Legacy SD-80 will smoke sitting still or moving. It has fan driven smoke, and you can also adjust the amount of smoke from the Legacy controller.
this is true, but you can also increase the out put by setting the momentim on high and increasing your RPMs, I had trouble with my legacy locos at first,and this is what the service station in Ohio told me to do, it works........mike

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes I have a type 4090 transformer. It came with two red levers, one marked throttle, and the other marked direction/ whistle. The loco is a fairly new model the way I understand it. Lastly, it is something I am piecing together.
I know you are not going to believe me ,but you have the wrong transformer, your train has an electronic circut board on board that requires a DC signal from the transformer, to operate the wistle,and prob. the smoke unit,that older type transformer is not able to send this signal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts